• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Advanced and beginner classes?

RAM18

IMHO, seems like the decision for a regular training for specific grades would depend on how many students are in attendance. Small groups can accommodate beginner, but at a certain point the benefits realized by either 'beginners' or 'advanced' students necessitates targeted training.

Leaves fall.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I doubt that you'll lose ANY identity with the other students; they know who the Dan ranked students are. They're more informed than one might think!! I don't allow "clicks" to form.

I think there is a difference between being visible to the newer students and being classmates with them. There is as much to learn from working with the lower kyus as they learn from crossing fists with the dan grades. To me this is the difference between the military and the academic models. The military model emphasises the need for detachment in order to command, the higher grades work with each other and ranks tend to stick together throughout their dojo life. The academic model emphasises the need for experience to be shared as widely as possible so the higher ranks are encouraged to work alongside the lower ranks in order to gain humility and perspective as much as to pass on their insights. With the military model cliques are inevitable, the whole system is set up so that they form naturally. With the academic model their formation can be problematic, and they have to be broken up as much as possible. Training together is great for breaking up cliques as you prove.

I agree; that's why the open floor. ALL ranks HELP and TRAIN and EXCHANGE one another without the worries of any rank formalities interfering with learning. Individual groups can deride the open floor. I won't allow BB's to ignore ranks below them, and this means that anyone can approach anyone for help and the like; FORMALITIES aren't allowed in any of my open floors.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

We offer 3 classes 2 nights a week.

Kids all levels

Family all levels

Advanced all levels

These run consecutively 45 minutes each.

Kids class is reserved for people 4-11. ( I believe.)

Family class, everyone is welcome.

Advanced class is typically 12 and up. Kids are more than welcome to train if they demonstrate a strong enough understanding in basics, sound maturity level, and last but not least, desire to not only train, but to LEARN. Typically 12 and up, but on occasion we have students as young as 10 train in the advanced class. People who train in the advanced class are expected to normally train in the family class as well.

I love the benefits of all levels training. It's the way I've trained my entire life, and I strongly feel that the presence of lower ranked students in the advanced class in no way compromise the advancement of higher ranked students.

To search for the old is to understand the new.

The old, the new, this is a matter of time.

In all things man must have a clear mind.

The Way: Who will pass it on straight and well?

- Master Funakoshi

While split beginners / advanced is often done, I've had somewhat of a different approach in my classes.

I have 2 classes, not divided on kyu grades necessarily but more on working / training ethics. Most of the time higher kyu grades have more 'serious' working ethic because of experience, hence that there are more higher kyu grades in the second class. But for 'beginners' (low kyu) that train serious and work hard, I'll put them in the second group.

The first group are mostly the younger age, those that have trouble focussing for long periods of time, etc. It makes it easier to 'design' a work-out when the mentality of the group is more uniform.

For me, grouping based on workin / training mentality works well.

Interesting approach! How do you deal with people who feel as if they should be in the more serious group but don't show it during training?

When someone mentioned a deadline, he said: "You’ve got a deadline. Well, I do too: death." He smiled. "It tends to insert itself into our considerations."

Interesting approach! How do you deal with people who feel as if they should be in the more serious group but don't show it during training?

I explain exactly that. Show me that you train seriously consistantly, and I have no problem letting them go to the other group. Just telling me that you feel you should be in that class without actually showing serious training mentality during class doesn't get you there.

"The ultimate aim of the art of karate lies not in victory or defeat, but in the perfection of the characters of its participants."

Gichin Funakoshi

No bruised egos that way?

When someone mentioned a deadline, he said: "You’ve got a deadline. Well, I do too: death." He smiled. "It tends to insert itself into our considerations."

Haven't had that problem yet, but I can imagine it happening. But if you explain it well, in a respectful manner, most individuals will see reason.

"The ultimate aim of the art of karate lies not in victory or defeat, but in the perfection of the characters of its participants."

Gichin Funakoshi