• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bunkai motivators

Oshishinobu

Awesome replies! I didn't know that about Bassai Dai, and Kanku65, I absolutely love your breakdown of it!

I also heard about the balls being ripped off philosophy, and it is awesome! I now approach it as a leg grab and trip (to avoid actually ripping my training partners' balls off!)

Seek Perfection of Character

Be Faithful

Endeavor

Respect others

Refrain from violent behavior.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Now here's an interesting subject, and not one that's actually discussed very much in my Dojo.

For example in Heian Sandan, turning from Kosa Dachi into the preparation (I don't know what the stance is called) for the elbow block-Mikazuki geri -uraken combination, I have seen Kanazawa do the crescent kick more or less straight after the Elbow block, in seemingly one move! but in my dojo we see it as 3 moves;

1. Mikazuki geri

2.Crane stance

3.Drop into Kiba Dachi with the elbow block being executed at the same time

the Bunkai for this, is that someone is punching (block with MikaZuki Geri), they then punch again (drop into Kiba Dachi and block with the Elbow block, break nose with Uraken).

Now, this doesn't make sense to me; why would someone continue to punch you a total of 4 further times, if you've just broken his/her nose!? (unless you missed)

Knowing others is wisdom, knowing yourself is Enlightenment. ~ Lao-Tzu

Now here's an interesting subject, and not one that's actually discussed very much in my Dojo.

For example in Heian Sandan, turning from Kosa Dachi into the preparation (I don't know what the stance is called) for the elbow block-Mikazuki geri -uraken combination, I have seen Kanazawa do the crescent kick more or less straight after the Elbow block, in seemingly one move! but in my dojo we see it as 3 moves;

1. Mikazuki geri

2.Crane stance

3.Drop into Kiba Dachi with the elbow block being executed at the same time

the Bunkai for this, is that someone is punching (block with MikaZuki Geri), they then punch again (drop into Kiba Dachi and block with the Elbow block, break nose with Uraken).

Now, this doesn't make sense to me; why would someone continue to punch you a total of 4 further times, if you've just broken his/her nose!? (unless you missed)

Well, the mikazuki-geri part of that sequence is a Shotokan addition that we don't do in Shorin-Ryu, but we do often kick as we step in application. With that in mind, we can assume the mikazuki-geri in Shotokan's version of Pinan Sandan is simply emphasizing that application. As for what the arms are doing, we generally use them for elbow wrenches followed by strikes. The kata repeats the sequence in case the technique fails, and repeats again to put you back on the initial side before you continue.

A friend of mine--Ryan Parker--uses this continuous flow-drill for this sequence, which I have adopted. He is only using the upper-body movements in the video, but the steps and stances from the kata can be done in the drill.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

When doing bunko we have set application to learn. Once done you get to experiment to your heart's content. Phrases such as what you call motivators are part of how we grease the wheels of our imagination :)

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

When doing bunko we have set application to learn. Once done you get to experiment to your heart's content. Phrases such as what you call motivators are part of how we grease the wheels of our imagination :)

OSU! absolutely bunkai motivatior should just be a push down the hill of bunkai.

OSU!

I never really thought about this either!

But when looking at kata applications I usually ask myself the following question before all others -

How do I use all the components of the kata move (striking hand, no striking hand, stance etc..) to keep me safe from harm against an opponent.

I guess I think about Itosu when he said karate is a way of using the hands and feet to avoid injury when one is confronted by a villian or ruffian.

REGAIN LOST INITIATIVE.

What do I mean by that ?

I don't personally apply kata as a pre-emptive system.

In a proper, civilian confrontation the aim should be to deliver YOUR preferred impact option (for me, Shotai Uchi ).

In the first instance we don't try to batter with kata. We use our primary impact weapons at this stage.

The applications of kata become relevant /appropriate when , for whatever reason, initiative is lost. Maybe your technique wasn't as effective as intended, the opponent covered, maybe he flinched to spoil, there are lots of "what ifs ". If the opponent re engages there's a strong chance the range will descend into grappling.

Yes, kata can teach takedowns, limb destruction but it's primary purpose is to REGAIN LOST INITIATIVE, to once again create an opportunity to deliver your primary impact options if possible.

Of course you may have to deliver impact using other striking options but the principle is the same - get back to striking ASAP.

I personally think there is too much emphasis on trying to lock , takedown etc. Greater emphasis should be placed on striking options.

Fighting for real you want the initiative, lose it - you want it back, in the simplest, most efficient and most direct method possible

REGAIN LOST INITIATIVE.

What do I mean by that ?

I don't personally apply kata as a pre-emptive system.

In a proper, civilian confrontation the aim should be to deliver YOUR preferred impact option (for me, Shotai Uchi ).

In the first instance we don't try to batter with kata. We use our primary impact weapons at this stage.

The applications of kata become relevant /appropriate when , for whatever reason, initiative is lost. Maybe your technique wasn't as effective as intended, the opponent covered, maybe he flinched to spoil, there are lots of "what ifs ". If the opponent re engages there's a strong chance the range will descend into grappling.

Yes, kata can teach takedowns, limb destruction but it's primary purpose is to REGAIN LOST INITIATIVE, to once again create an opportunity to deliver your primary impact options if possible.

Of course you may have to deliver impact using other striking options but the principle is the same - get back to striking ASAP.

I personally think there is too much emphasis on trying to lock , takedown etc. Greater emphasis should be placed on striking options.

Fighting for real you want the initiative, lose it - you want it back, in the simplest, most efficient and most direct method possible

Solid post!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!