• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bunkai motivators

Oshishinobu

OSU!

The idea behind this post is to exchange and discuss bunkai motivators. A bunkai motivator is a statement or concept you use as a trigger in figuring out bunkai. One I like is " think like a school yard bully" by this I mean think how to attack someone in the dirtiest and meanest way possible using the frame work of kata. One example is the fort kick to kosa dachi and down ward uraken from heian yondan. The way I see this is a good kick to the stomach and then moving forward stepping on their toes and striking to the nose. Simple and straight forward easy and mean. The opponent is reeling from the meageri and than you land with all your weight on their toes and pop them in the face. This sets up the finishing hip throw.

So do you guys have any fun motivators or just any fun bunkai to share?

OSU!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I personally like "think like you're breaking into the fortress" when starting Bassai Dai. That double block/strike/or whatever you wanna call it is powerful!! I love that.

Seek Perfection of Character

Be Faithful

Endeavor

Respect others

Refrain from violent behavior.

This is an interesting idea--I suppose I never really thought of trying to relay an overall approach to kata application through a single phrase. I do tend to say "shut them down" fairly often, because I feel like it's pretty self-explanatory in the context of kata application.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

The best motivation is knowing what one is doing. What is the target, how and when should it be attacked and the intent of the technique used. As for motivating thoughts, the only one to have is: there is no second try!

The first or second technique must end the attack. This means the attacker is either dead, unconscious or injured enough to allow one to escape.

Do it again!! Do it again!! Do it again!! Do it again!! Do it again!! Do it again!!...for the rest of my life. I'll get it right, one day, but until then...Do it again!! Do it again!! Do it again!! Do it again!!...

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I personally like "think like you're breaking into the fortress" when starting Bassai Dai. That double block/strike/or whatever you wanna call it is powerful!! I love that.

This concept!

When I first learned this 10 years ago, I was taught that the main idea behind the kata was strength. "BREAKING DOWN THE FORTRESS."

Now, I practice it as simply, "entering the fortress." The idea is switching from a disadvantageous position, to an advantageous one. The concept is not so much, breaking down the fortress, but entering it. One man cannot defeat a fortress from the outside, but once on the inside, he may do what he wishes so long as he has acquired the proper skills. The idea of entering the fortress should not only refer to the opening movement, but as well to the entirety of techniques executed within the kata.

Sure you've entered the fortress, but now you have the million enemies on the inside running at you. Therefore, the switching from disadvantage to advantage is constant! you're constantly changing directions, moving forwards and backwards. You have no choice! On the outside of the fortress, you're at a disadvantage. On the inside you're at an advantage. When an opponent attacks, you're at a disadvantage, so you must be swift to switch yourself constantly to gain the advantage. There are 10 blocks in Bassai dai before throwing the first "strike".

This is of course entirely debatable, but it's how I've been taught.

Other than this, my favourite bunkai motivators are also in OP's description of heian yondan. My sensei refers to that series of movements as "I don't want to play anymore." A most innocent name for one of the most balls to the walls merciless series of movements found in kata.

Also, heian godan, switching from shuto gedan to manji. "In the old days we were taught that we were ripping a man's balls off then holding them above our head for them to see. Use this feeling." Yes sensei.

Sorry for the long post :P

To search for the old is to understand the new.

The old, the new, this is a matter of time.

In all things man must have a clear mind.

The Way: Who will pass it on straight and well?

- Master Funakoshi

OSU!

Ripping off some balls! Yeah that is the idea. With bassai dai I always like to think " I must protect!" Bassai was the kata of the palace guards who protected the royal family and other high officials. As I see this the opening is cutting off a assailant coming to attack your charge.

OSU!

With bassai dai I always like to think " I must protect!" Bassai was the kata of the palace guards who protected the royal family and other high officials. As I see this the opening is cutting off a assailant coming to attack your charge.

OSU!

I hadn't been acquainted with this bit of information. Thank you for sharing!

I love the variety of concepts Bassai can cover in accordance with it's fundamentals and bunkai!

To search for the old is to understand the new.

The old, the new, this is a matter of time.

In all things man must have a clear mind.

The Way: Who will pass it on straight and well?

- Master Funakoshi

I feel you need to actually practice the bunkai in the dojo with a partner to a level of resistance to fully grasp the meaning of the technique.

From there it becomes nature to emulate this when practicing kata and techniques.

Its also akin to the manner in which I often approach a heavy bag. Think of it like you are actually trying to drop someone. Don't just kick it. KICK IT!

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."