• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Mushin

So can someone help elaborate on this mindset? I like the concept, and I feel I reach that in sparring sometimes, but when I compete in say kickboxing or MMA, I get a little zealous and too excited. Any advice who to reach this mindset in a dangerous situation like a street fight?

My guess a lot of it comes from relaxation/confidence?

Per Aspera Ad Astra

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A good explanation of the concept is that it is the point where one no longer requires conscious thought to perform an action which has been trained and internalized enough that it becomes automatic. Mushin literally translates to "no-mind". It is subconscious action and can only be achieved with years of concentrated effort and dedicated practise. It is when techniques flow from within and naturally.

How can one achieve MUSHIN - One's make up is a big part of it - whats inside of us to begin with. We all have that animal inside of us. How my times have you read or watched the news about people being trampled to death in a fire - instead of being calm -people just go crazy. And the bigger the danger becomes the less calm people are. Now we as Martial Artists are suppose to overcome this - CORRECT? Competition cannot ( IMHO ) achieve this - to much emphasis on WINNING or NOT GETTING HURT. One must try to have a calm relaxed mind and at the same time in Combat and I mean COMBAT - not MMA - BOXING - KARATE TOURNAMENTS........try to take someone's head off. Hmmmm not that easy to make your mind blank - calm demeanor and take someone's head off with no emotion. There are to many components to this - Your Teacher - Your kata/Forms practice - meditation and so on and so on....... But ultimately you have to look inside of yourself - you must know YOURSELF first. And like one of my teachers said years ago everyone says they have a plan until they get punched in the face. Just my 3 cents.

A good explanation of the concept is that it is the point where one no longer requires conscious thought to perform an action which has been trained and internalized enough that it becomes automatic. Mushin literally translates to "no-mind". It is subconscious action and can only be achieved with years of concentrated effort and dedicated practise. It is when techniques flow from within and naturally.

This is about as good as it gets. We have to have trained so much, so often, and to such a level of automatic response that things just happen. Applying it under stress is likewise a trained event. The more your training mirrors the stressors of reality, the more likely you'll be to reach this state. It is effected by confidents and calmness, but this is achieved thru constant practice under simulated stress. Now, note that the key is not just reps, it's reps under realistic stress. That's what allows us to reach maximal performance states. There's a lot of good psychological research that can be a valuable primer on the subject.

Solid post!!

Mizu No Kokoro...Tsuki No Kokoro speak towards that. The former says...Mind Like The Water and Mind Like The Water are companions, and equally dependent on one or another; no mind.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Mushin is indeed a cornerstone of many people's meditations, not just karateka. For me the way I see it is a form of focus when training such that the conscious thought moves to the background of perception. This focus allows you to move your body in self defence much more easily and fluidly. This synchs up with Mind Like The Moon, and Mind Like Water quite nicely.

If you don't attain mushin it is more difficult to experience Mind Like The Moon, because you're too busy thinking about something else.

:karate:

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

One thing that happens in a real fight is that you are amazingly calm, that's Mushin. I have been shot at, swung at, just yesterday we had to take down a shoplifter with a weapon. Its amazing how mellow and cool I felt through all of this stuff. I have had knives drawn on me, other inmates in a lockup come on to me, always calm. Road rage lunies have come up to my car window to start a fight, just chilled. That is Mushin. You kind of stay in the moment. You don't think about what could happen next. You don't get all aggressive and loud mouthed. You kind of just "be" with the opponent. Guess what, that calms most of them down.

It comes after training for most of my life. I used to sweat palms and almost puke when this stuff happened. You get swung on by a big teacher who can really clock you, for long enough, the street putz doesn't worry you. This and the fact that the vast majority of guys who will start something up on the street have no training and cannot fight worth beans. They are slow, predictable and easily read. I know this last part is gonna sound corny, but you gotta love your opponent, that's right, you gotta send good vibes their way. That chills em out, gives em respect, shows you are not a threat and de-escalates.

Hope this helps.

Chillin on a Dirt Road

One thing that happens in a real fight is that you are amazingly calm, that's Mushin. I have been shot at, swung at, just yesterday we had to take down a shoplifter with a weapon. Its amazing how mellow and cool I felt through all of this stuff. I have had knives drawn on me, other inmates in a lockup come on to me, always calm. Road rage lunies have come up to my car window to start a fight, just chilled. That is Mushin. You kind of stay in the moment. You don't think about what could happen next. You don't get all aggressive and loud mouthed. You kind of just "be" with the opponent. Guess what, that calms most of them down.

It comes after training for most of my life. I used to sweat palms and almost puke when this stuff happened. You get swung on by a big teacher who can really clock you, for long enough, the street putz doesn't worry you. This and the fact that the vast majority of guys who will start something up on the street have no training and cannot fight worth beans. They are slow, predictable and easily read. I know this last part is gonna sound corny, but you gotta love your opponent, that's right, you gotta send good vibes their way. That chills em out, gives em respect, shows you are not a threat and de-escalates.

Hope this helps.

Very well said!

:karate:

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu