• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

When you Don't Wanna, You Gotta!

I found myself sitting at home on my laptop after supper and knew I had training. I didn't want to go. I got into an argument with myself!

Me: I don't wanna go.

Still Me: I should go.

This rang around my head for about a half hour.

Me: I don't wanna go.

Still Me: I should go.

Me: OK ok ok I'll go and just do a little bit. I'm not feeling good. I'll take it easy tonight.

Still Me: Yeah, I'll take it easy.

So I get to the dojo and the energy is high! The youth class is wrapping up and they're in high sprits too. :) I got wrapped up in helping out and chasing a few little ones around for cool down. Immediately I realize that my body wasn't feeling bad. It was just my mood.

I stayed the whole time and gave it 100%.

Ain't nothing but training to cure what ails ya. Especially when you don't wanna, you gotta go train!

8)

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

For training to be serious and to get the maximum benefits it should be done as a daily habits. Everyone has a few things that are done without fail everyday. Things that are always done and often done without a second thought. When training is made into one of those routine habits, it is no longer just an activity.

No matter how one feels before, a good training session will improve everything. It is impossible to stay stressed or in a bad mood or weak after training hard. In fact it is on the days that require more effort to get into training that I feel the best sense of accomplishment afterwards.

Well said :)

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

• 2 weeks later...

This happens to me a lot when I am really tired. I go to class anyway, and feel so much better after I get to working out, and after class, I'm always glad I went.

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely! I find that this is one of the most difficult aspects surrounding the discipline of training (for anything). When I find myself in a funky mood and don't want to go train, it takes me some time to build up to that "enough is enough, I'm going!" mentality...

...then I go and train and put into it what I am able to muster, and end up feeling waaay better for it.

Bottom line, as you said in your OP, the time you NEED to go train is precisely when you DON'T WANT to go!

:karate:

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

Great topic; thank you for starting it. Great OP!!

Even nowadays, I struggle to get that get-up-and-go gumption, and that's usually when I get up too early after staying up too late or if I'm under-the-weather. But, that struggle within myself doesn't last that long because, and beyond the fact that I've responsibilities to my students to be in-house, the urge to learn and to teach, and my unending love for the MA!!

Don't get me wrong, imho, the MA can be a love and hate relationship; I'm not perfect, but I will say this, over 50 years, I'm more on the floor than off the floor willingly.

Your OP speaks in volumes, and therefore, mirrors what I've felt from time to time. We all have our reasons for going, and in that, no ones reason's are greater or lesser than others, imho!!

It's not a contest!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I love karate and I go 3 times a week if only i can go 6 days a week i would go I really love training and plus i help teach kids so its over all fun if i cant go then i have to make it up

because when im at my house im bored so when i go too karate i had fun

I love Shotokan Karate Do and American Kenpo Karate