• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Late starters in martial arts

By "notable" I meant people whose names are well known in martial arts circles or in history. Chuck Norris is an example, but I am not sure how old he was when he started. Being famous is not necessary though, but coming up with an example of someone who started later is not easy. I often wonder if there are certain limits to the level I can expect to reach, having restarted my training in my late 20's. At least as far as the physical techniques go.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another variable to consider: If someone has been training for 30 years, is that 30 years of training or 5 years done six times?

To continue to improve, your practice must be deliberate, purposeful and with the intention to improve in specific ways. If you just keep doing what you're comfortable with and have always done, your progress will stall.

Very very well said! 8)

:karate:

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

By "notable" I meant people whose names are well known in martial arts circles or in history. Chuck Norris is an example, but I am not sure how old he was when he started. Being famous is not necessary though, but coming up with an example of someone who started later is not easy. I often wonder if there are certain limits to the level I can expect to reach, having restarted my training in my late 20's. At least as far as the physical techniques go.

With Norris a bit of Google-fu says he started training when he was stationed in Korea in the 60's. That would put him in his 20s when he started: http://articles.latimes.com/1996-10-02/news/ls-49498_1_chuck-norris

As I said in my earlier post a lot of the original TKD masters began learning whilst in military service. The 12 original masters were and still are able to perform some incredible feats:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Original_masters_of_taekwondo

UFC fighter Nate Quarry started at 24:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nate_Quarry

Depending how you see this one, Kimbo Slice didn't have any formal training until he hit his 30s:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimbo_Slice

Bas Rutten started TKD aged 21:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bas_Rutten

So it's not the end of the world. Being young isn't a guarantee of success. Working damn hard is.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• 2 weeks later...

I was 12 when I started but I was very...lackadasical, I've recently rejoined at another club at the age of 22, and my biggest regret in the world is not carrying on from 12 onwards; I could have been maybe 2nd/3rd dan by now! (Granted I'm now a green belt after 8 months training at my new place)

Knowing others is wisdom, knowing yourself is Enlightenment. ~ Lao-Tzu

In my original post I considered the topic as a whole. In "late starters" I would include anyone who started for the first time and those like myself who have had gaps in training or started with some background.

In my experience it is twice as difficult to start with a background as it is with no prior training of any kind. With a few gaps I had trained since 13 and was at 3dan. Starting over meant forgetting everything and giving up my 3dan. All this within the exact same style. The more I trained, the more I realized how much I was missing. Having a clean slate when starting is probably more important than when one starts. Fresh beginniners are not caught up in all sorts of habits and are not confused easily.

• 2 weeks later...

I started when I was 49. Only been doing it a year and three months, but love it. I was always active and, I think, more importantly, I'm not overweight. That wasn't always the case though. After seeing myself drifting towards middle age with ever increasing girth, I said, "hell no, I won't go." and shed three stone in three years through a lot of physical activity and careful diet. I think this really helps in my karate class (and everything else), as it means I don't have to haul a lot of excess bulk to haul across the floor. Also, I think the lightness adds to speed, which at present makes up for a lot. I was lucky, I suppose, in that I'd done some boxing when younger, so knew how to move and throw a punch. I can't profess to being in anyway good (just a yellow belt), my side kicks and roundhouse being hampered by impinged hips, which I've always had, and tight aductor tendons from a lot of cycling, but I've done and still do, a lot of yoga, also, which gives me flexibility certainly in forward kicks.

Our group is small, six or seven, and I'm the oldest one there, but I have to say, I get a certain guilty satisfaction in not breaking a sweat where everyone else is, especially two teenage boys. We did 500 kicks last night, and I was the only one not huffing and puffing at the end, instructor and a black belt included.

Another thing, though, is that I take it seriously. I train twice a week with the club, and then at home, at night after the kids and my wife are in bed, go through my gradings in the garage, from first to up and coming (it actually only takes about three quarters of an hour at the moment, and seems to level my mind and help me sleep). I also like to slip in some kata when I've got a bit of time, space and momentum (I do love kata). I think most people in our club, turn up, train, then leave it be until next week.

I don't want it to come across as bragging (thought I suspect it does). There's nothing special about me. But I enjoy it so much, and really want to progress for nothing other than the satisfaction of knowing I did my best.

I guess what I'm saying is that age isn't a barrier. If you enjoy it, and you want it, you can do it. And injury aside.

You're as old as you let yourself get.

Seems like you've got the right attitude, Philx123!

When someone mentioned a deadline, he said: "You’ve got a deadline. Well, I do too: death." He smiled. "It tends to insert itself into our considerations."

I was 12 when I started but I was very...lackadasical, I've recently rejoined at another club at the age of 22, and my biggest regret in the world is not carrying on from 12 onwards; I could have been maybe 2nd/3rd dan by now! (Granted I'm now a green belt after 8 months training at my new place)

22 is a good age to start , you have many years ahead of you ,enjoy the journey and let it happen as it happens , have your goal of reaching 3rd dan set but don't rush towards it ,concentrate on gaining the knowledge in training effectively .

I started at the age of 16 for about six months and I stopped and returned when I was 24 and felt the same way as you , but luckily I came across a great sensei and mentor and never looked back .

Which brings me to what I want to say regarding gaining new skills late in life .

Almost 2 years ago I took on learning a lifelong desire to learn to play the guitar ! ...at the age of 53 ..

I took my wife with me on my second lesson and ten minutes into the lesson she said : forget it ! you and those fingers can never play the guitar !

I said to her I am going to prove you wrong ! I used the skills I learned in karate and applied the same principles to learning the guitar .

paying attention to correct technique and repetition after repetition ,instead of my hands and feet and my knuckles it was my fingers and developing hard skin on tips of my fingers .

I am not a great player but I can now play songs that I used to dream of and played in my head for many years ,I am enjoying the journey ,most of all she has begun to enjoy listening to me !

Sure if I started when I was 10 years old when I first felt that desire things might have been different but better late than never , I love playing the guitar and when I learn a new song and play it I enjoy so much .

never give up !