• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Martial myths

Osu!

This is a myth I was told when I was kids and I tell ya I was sold.

"To be a black belt you had to kill a man."

Oh and one that I am not sure where I heard.

"to buy a copy of black belt Mag you had to prove you had a black belt." Ya know to like a club.

OSU!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OSU! here is one

"the samurai sword could cut through the barrel of a gun."

Oh another

European swords are heavy. European swordsmen were unskilled and would simply bash at each other."

"the one inch punch is really an empty force technique."

OSU!

Depends on your view of "chi" or "ki" ...

The question is ....

Inner power, inner strength form where exactly?

I view the use of the terms "chi" or "ki" as desire, the voice that drives you to do one more push up, one more lap... that something extra!

Your spirit to try harder!

Others assign some mystical hidden magical power that you tap into when you hold a crystal or two in your toes as you rub a toad over your eyeball on the third Tuesday of the second phase of the blood moon whilst you wear a potato sack ...

hmmm...

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

My instructor used to tell us a ton of myths about the black belt test when I was little. I now know he says this stuff jokingly, but when I was eight I 100% believed him.

He'd tell us that in order to get your black belt you had to:

1. Run through a rain storm without getting wet (since a black belt has to be so fast they can dodge the rain drops)

2. Curl up into a ball and be thrown against the wall. If you got hurt at all-- you failed.

3. Punch so hard your sleeves fell off (one of our black belts regularly wore a gi with the sleeves cut off, which I think is where that came from)

4. Fight every other black belt in the school and beat them.

5. Do Kata Chinto on a board suspended over a stream while people throw things at you. If you fell in the water, you failed.

And finally...

6. Right at the beginning of the test, you're punched in the nose and you have to complete the test with a broken/bleeding nose to make it more difficult.

Makes me wonder why I ever wanted to be a black belt...

Depends on your view of "chi" or "ki" ...

The question is ....

Inner power, inner strength form where exactly?

I view the use of the terms "chi" or "ki" as desire, the voice that drives you to do one more push up, one more lap... that something extra!

Your spirit to try harder!

Others assign some mystical hidden magical power that you tap into when you hold a crystal or two in your toes as you rub a toad over your eyeball on the third Tuesday of the second phase of the blood moon whilst you wear a potato sack ...

hmmm...

OSU!

I like your definition. Chi or ki what have you has always just made sense as something intangible. Ki is the spirit of Ki. OSU!

Two that still stick around, though perhaps not as bad as before.

Don't lift weights, it will make you too slow and stiff to do martial arts. Because being strong is totally bad in a hands on, physical confrontation.

And followed by;

Size and strength don't matter if you have trained properly. Um, because physical attributes total don't matter in a hands on, physical confrontation.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

The one that always gets me is "A black belt has to register themselves as a "deadly Weapon"" And there a LOT of black belts that believe this. This myth originates when I believe it was Joe Frazier did it as a stunt before fighting Muhammad Ali.

Per Aspera Ad Astra

• 3 weeks later...
The one that always gets me is "A black belt has to register themselves as a "deadly Weapon"" And there a LOT of black belts that believe this. This myth originates when I believe it was Joe Frazier did it as a stunt before fighting Muhammad Ali.

The 'black belt' who will not fight/defend a person who is in need of help/is being attacked. No this guy makes a big scene about having no other option its illegal he cannot act outside the dojo, so he walks away.

Leaving the victim to suffer.

(personal experience- a girl who gets what she deserves from her 'man'....oh I so love his kind yummy!)

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.