• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Over 18 Million Practitioners!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Those are some big numbers! The numbers on the kids were quite revealing, as well.

I agree. Interesting breakdown of other activities for MA practitioners as well. Being 2011, I wonder if the numbers stayed the same, lessened, or increased, and if so, just how much a 4 year difference made, if any.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

That article's source is from 2011 and the original study isn't available any longer. Is there an updated link you've been able to find?

I seem to remember a similar post from 2003 or so that had smaller numbers, its good to see they're increasing. :)

:karate:

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

That article's source is from 2011 and the original study isn't available any longer. Is there an updated link you've been able to find?

I seem to remember a similar post from 2003 or so that had smaller numbers, its good to see they're increasing. :)

No, I've not been able to locate a recent study beside the 2011 one that I stumbled upon. I'm still searching, although!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Its too bad, that one from 2011 lost the link to the original study.

- Sun-tzu

The numbers on likelihood of training going up for wealthier children bothers me. It always has concerned me that the opportunities aren't available for lower income folks. They're under served in many areas of life. I suppose MA is no different. It costs something (for most folks) to train. It makes sense that if you want to open a school, you'd rather make money doing so.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

The numbers on likelihood of training going up for wealthier children bothers me. It always has concerned me that the opportunities aren't available for lower income folks. They're under served in many areas of life. I suppose MA is no different. It costs something (for most folks) to train. It makes sense that if you want to open a school, you'd rather make money doing so.

Well said, and I agree for the most part. I'd love for MA to be offered for free as part of school. Of course that would bring the quagmire of which style to train students in. Regardless I'd say even if an instructor wanted to have free training there is still the concern of insurance and facilities. Many instructors I've seen are able to charge smaller fees because they aren't in for profit.

- Sun-tzu

Well said, and I agree for the most part. I'd love for MA to be offered for free as part of school. Of course that would bring the quagmire of which style to train students in. Regardless I'd say even if an instructor wanted to have free training there is still the concern of insurance and facilities. Many instructors I've seen are able to charge smaller fees because they aren't in for profit.

For the last 10 years, I've served lower income folks in my town. It's not easy, because everything does have a cost. I run my school out of my church (low overhead) but it still isn't easy.

I have a friend who runs a sister school out of a church, as well. He's retired from his career, and a member of the Kiwanis Club. His Kiwanis Club pays for the equipment (mats, etc.) and he charges a nominal fee per month. He serves mostly low income students. If his students can't pay, he doesn't care. He teaches high-quality MA 4 days a week, has over 70 students (and a wait list of 60+), with ridiculously low turn over. I can't tell you how envious I am. :D

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

Sounds like your friend is doing well for the low-income bracket. That's impressive and close to the heart of Karate's origins, too. After all every early karateka wasn't focused on receiving wages for instruction than they were for sharing their knowledge.

- Sun-tzu