• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What's an interesting or unique fact about where you live?

cathal

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The film "Groundhog Day" was shot in the town I live in. Trust me, no one here will let anyone forget that fact....ever.

The film "Groundhog Day" was shot in the town I live in. Trust me, no one here will let anyone forget that fact....ever.

I bet it feels like being in groundhog day with everyone always saying the same thing.

Black belt AFAF # 178

Tang Soo Do

8th Kyu

Matsubayashi ryu shorin ryu karate

Well at least people have heard of Groudhog Day, no-one has ever heard of any of the films made around here (Dead Mans Shoes, Sightseers) apart from Jane Eyre, to which they add the qualifier "which one?".

I forgot another fun fact. The girl that played "Annie" in the recent movie with Jamie Foxx was born and raised here. She was a classmate of my daughter in Pre-K. I can't spell her name, but it is pronounced like "Quwavazhanay".

About 17 miles from my house, there is a site where a civil war battle was fought (albeit a very mild skirmish!)

Seek Perfection of Character

Be Faithful

Endeavor

Respect others

Refrain from violent behavior.

This is a great thread, Shawn. :) Thanks for starting it.

I can't think of anything... I mean, the Wright brothers took their plane up into the air pretty close by, but it's a couple of towns over. :)

but it's a couple of towns over. :)

I live in a small place. Two town over ain't so far away. :)

:D

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

• 4 weeks later...

Forgive me, but, I had to cheat to think of anything about Houston, TX. After all, I just moved here February 2015. So...

http://www.10-facts-about.com/Houston/id/153

I lived in Owasso, OK, part of Tulsa, since January 2000; until we moved to Houston, TX...

*Owasso is now over 100 years old! 1904-present

*Owasso is an Osage Indian word meaning "Turn Around" or "End of the Trail." The "End of the Trail" painting is our official symbol or logo, which is found all over town, from police badges to a large mural on the side of the Historical Museum building on Main Street.

*Owasso officially became a town under Indian Territory laws in 1906, then was later chartered as a city on September 28, 1972.

*The Owasso 74055 zip code area has an estimated population of 38,412 (2010); but, serves a retail trade of approximately 700,000.

*The City's primary source of income is sales tax.

:o

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Our local town hall hosted several of Slade's first gigs in the 70's! (nothing to be too proud of, I'm sure!)

Knowing others is wisdom, knowing yourself is Enlightenment. ~ Lao-Tzu