• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Scarface remake??

mazzybear

So I read today that one of my all time favourite films is to be remade. Am I happy about this? NO!! :kaioken: Not in the slightest, not when I've seen what has happened to other classics that have been remade recently, I think it's safe to say I'll be avoiding this like the plague.

It is to be directed by Pablo Larrain (no, I've never heard of him either) and centres around it's mexican protagonist Tony _________ (surname tba) who moves from Mexico to LA and rises through the ranks of a drug cartel to eventually head it up.

I have to say I really don't like the sound of it, who can match up to the mighty Pacino in this role? Nobody IMO.

Anyone else dread the thought of this? I realise DePalma's version is also a remake, but boy what a job he done, sadly I don't see the same happening with this!

Thoughts?

Mo.

Be water, my friend.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I believe that for this remake to be successful would take an actor of epic proportions; Al Pacino is a hard act to follow!! If they were to cast a solid leading actor that could own and capture the rawness for the role, I'd consider to watch it. But, if they cast someone that's not seasoned for this type of role, I'd not waste my time and money!!

This is me!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Here's an article about it: http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/19/entertainment/feat-scarface-remake-thr/

Certainly a tough act to follow. I don't mind remakes because I can just ignore them if I don't like them. :)

I don't know, do we really need a remake? The human condition really hasn't changed that much since the film came out. People of today can still feel for the characters in that film. There's just too many remakes going on.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

I don't know, do we really need a remake? The human condition really hasn't changed that much since the film came out. People of today can still feel for the characters in that film. There's just too many remakes going on.

For me you've hit the nail on the head, far too many remakes going on. The only halfway decent remake I've seen of late is Man of Steel and even then, nothing beats Christopher Reeve's Superman.

Mo.

Be water, my friend.

I watched the new Robocop the other day. I enjoyed it. That said, I've never seen the original. Heh. :)

I watched the new Robocop the other day. I enjoyed it. That said, I've never seen the original. Heh. :)

Totally different movie. If you watch the original you'll get better understanding of the characters and the world involved.

:)

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

• 4 weeks later...

I wonder what the new movie will be like. A remake of a remake is quite challenging if it is to get any significant appreciation. The original scarface was about an Italian American mobster, probably based on Al Capone. Whose nickname was scarface. The one about a Cuban drug lord made in the 90s is a remake of that.

Just in reading about this, it's been in development in one form or another since at least 2011: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/scarface-update-being-developed-by-238762

Regarding the content, TheWrap reported this more than a year ago:

“Scarface” will reimagine the core immigrant story told in both the 1932 and 1983 films. Universal’s update will be an original story set in modern day Los Angeles that follows a Mexican immigrant’s rise in the criminal underworld as he strives for the American Dream. ...

The new “Scarface” will be a more mythic origin story that explores where Tony’s physical and emotional wounds come from and how they shaped him as a man.

Here are Al Pacino's thoughts on it: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/al-pacino-talks-scarface-remake-783079