• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Step Back Knee Bar from Top Half

We spent the whole week attacking from top half. Particularly, we drilled off the back side of the position. Here, we review one of the last couple of techniques from here. A knee bar with a unique set:

Feel free to question, discuss, and debate.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Another excellent tutorial, Alex...top notch!!

How do your students address not keeping their feet locked around that one leg, especially when their one arm is still under their opponents head, when they're just learning this??

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Another nice run-down. That's the first I've seen a knee bar, so thank you for sharing it. I also noted that its not really a gi-reliant technique, which will be helpful for me. I think the main thing will be making sure to triangle the leg when going back.

Another excellent tutorial, Alex...top notch!!

How do your students address not keeping their feet locked around that one leg, especially when their one arm is still under their opponents head, when they're just learning this??

:)

The focus has to been on pinching the knees together on the back step. That's what maintains the position without locking in the leg. You have to learn to trust the movement and start to understand what you can and can't do with the physiology and feeling that during the roll.

Brain, yes, the triangle post movement is important. That will additionally set up some follow up attacks when your partner blocks the knee bar.

That's a sweet setup. I'm just curious if you worked passing from that position as well? Seems to me to could switch to a pass if you feel the leg is out of play. Again solid post.

Thanks! Yes, you can work the pass from the backstop. I'll also look at a transition to the ankle lock when the opponent triangles their feet.