• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Open-Hand kata with weapons

albeaver

I have done a few Wado kata with sai, just to get the feel of them. For such a thing to be successful the kata has to fit the weapon - since sai are mainly striking/blocking weapons this works well with some karate kata. However an open hand kata done with sai has to be a compromise, you can't train the locking/pulling/throwing aspects of open hand and you can't train the hooking/pinning/distracting aspects of the sai.

As a gateway to leaning a good weapon kata though, go for it!

Solid post!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
We do that. Usually our first weapons kata is a version of our first kata (an Isshinryu-ized version of Fukyugata Ichi) with a short stick. Later in black belt we study the Isshinryu weapons forms, which include a sai version of Kusanku. I believe there's also a tonfa version of Wansu somewhere in the mysterious upper reaches of our curriculum.

Tonfa version of Wansu? I've done my own but haven't heard of an 'official' version. I also study Isshin-Ryu

• 2 weeks later...

Bassaidai is a fun kata with the bo. It works really well and is rather intuitive. this is a video I made a little while ago and for some reason that day I had a stutter on one of the chudan strikes I have since fixed that.

OSU!

Bassaidai is a fun kata with the bo. It works really well and is rather intuitive. this is a video I made a little while ago and for some reason that day I had a stutter on one of the chudan strikes I have since fixed that.

OSU!

I honestly thank you for posting this video.

Put an entirely new, yet familiar perspective on Bassai for me.

To search for the old is to understand the new.

The old, the new, this is a matter of time.

In all things man must have a clear mind.

The Way: Who will pass it on straight and well?

- Master Funakoshi

OSU!

Very good interpretation. Good work.

:karate:

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Thanks you guys, it is really fun to do it. After i learned Bassai sho it lit a spark and I decided to try dai with a bo and after just playing with it the kata just fit. I had leaned a little Kali years ago and one of the ideas behind kali is that the weapons and open hand are the same moments so I figured why not karate.

OSU!

• 3 weeks later...