• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Training 1 on 1 with instructor (for free)

jaykay

I was looking to return to karate after a 10 year break (was 5th kyu), so I searched for local training venues.

I called one of the two within an acceptable driving distance and found out that the class hadn't really taken off but the instructor still hired the hall and was wanting to teach. So I went along...

It seemed ok, but of course being the only student, I am a little wary! There are apparently 3 other students that come every now and then (including one black belt). The instructor is registered with the national organisation (not for profit) and currently teaching for free.

In terms of technique, the 1 on 1 attention was great. I was a little unsure about some things (turning on heel, rather than ball of foot) but I guess that is just the slight difference in style.

I did try the other dojo and found it to be more MMA and had no kata until you reached a high grade (which I found odd). It was a large group and focused on pad work/sparring.

Can you let me know your thoughts on the options?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Welcome to KF; glad that you're here!!

If possible, look at it this way, for now, you're receiving private lessons: one on one with the CI!! Sure, the lessons are free, but for now, you've got his undivided attention. And I believe, that's priceless....literally!!

If this instructor is providing your MA needs, than it appears quite simple...stay where you are right now. Yes, there are going to be style differences in methodologies as well as ideologies, but it your MA needs are being meet, and you feel that this instructor is qualified across the board, then hell or ball of foot...well...when in Rome...!!

You can only assume/guess why you're the only student for most of the time, but, unless you're "in the room" as to why this might be the reason(s) as to its existence of loneliness on the floor, you might be putting the horse before the cart and label said instructor as inadequate because his school isn't busting out at the seems with students.

Enjoy the private lesson, or the semi-private lesson [when the other students are there] because imho, that could be the diamond in the ruff!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

thanks for your reply

That is a really good way to look at it.

Even after 1 lesson, I've learnt of a lot of things that I'm doing wrong and how to fix them. Some of them are so tiny that they wouldn't have been picked up in a larger group.

I am curious to see the black belt student train and how the pace changes when he is there, as it was obviously very basic for my 1st lesson.

After 14 years in a different style, I've been in a small school for almost a year now...just had a family sign up so it's not as small anymore when they show up, but it's all good.

I think I've adapted to most of the differences between styles, but the differences with the "individual" attention have been significant. Down side of getting to a higher rank at a larger school was that over time my technique didn't really get any better and I didn't realize it.

Enjoy the individual attention while you can get it.

You're definitely getting a good opportunity! One-on-one training is invaluable, as sensei8 said. Enjoy it, and soak it up!

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Soak in as much as you can. You get all the time you could want to ask questions and get corrected on things.

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky

Yes, definitely. The one on one cannot be replaced. I was fortunate to have the opportunity to train one on one with my CI way back when, we would spend a couple of hours before class working on stuff that the other students didn't even get to do!

At the time I wasn't a big fan of it as I thought he was "beating me up" but now I realize just what I was actually privy to, training far above what was being taught in class, I believe this is the single reason why I never lost at grappling, was the only student out of my class to make it to black belt, and why I still know throws and locks that others do not.

Take this training and value it, especially for free! I have to pay over $100 a month to train around here so you are indeed very lucky.

Black belt AFAF # 178

Tang Soo Do

8th Kyu

Matsubayashi ryu shorin ryu karate

1 on 1 = Your Kumite partner IS and WILL BE...Your Sensei!! That fact alone scares most students, while others love it. More are scared than not!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

1 on 1 with anybody more knowledgable than yourself is always a good thing.

That turning on your heal insted of the ball of your foot concerns me...can you share more about that?

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

1 on 1 with anybody more knowledgable than yourself is always a good thing.

That turning on your heal insted of the ball of your foot concerns me...can you share more about that?

I agree. That sounds odd.

I think that 1-on-1 training is a great thing, especially early on in the journey. However, being able to train in a group has several advantages, as well. Training with other people can be motivational, giving your someone to push yourself against. Also, its good to be able to work with various partners of different body sizes and gender in order to learn how to augment techniques or strategies against them. Working in a group also helps to build camaraderie, which is great for training.

Enjoy the personal attention while you have the opportunity, but also try to seek out others to train together with, as well.