• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Formality?!

"When in Rome, do as the Roman's do!!" To me, this seems fair, as cultural protocol demands.

Offending a culture isn't polite and respectful, but it can be dangerous, depending where that culture is. It's always best, imho, to avoid any culture shock, if at all possible.

For the times that I was fortunate enough to visit Okinawa, I had an ace in my pocket so that I wouldn't be offensive to the Okinawa culture, and this included the culture of Okinawa Karate...Soke and/or Dai-Soke...my aces in my pocket. Even then, I still messed up, and was called onto the carpet by both!! Not fun, and I was accountable for my actions!!

For example...

*It would behoove you to research the culture of Okinawa and the culture of Okinawa Karate before you do and/or says something that'll land you in some hot water on either front.

*One of the biggest no-no's that I learnt the hard way, was to ask a local Okinawa karateka, that YOU'VE JUST MET, to introduce you to their Sensei. First time I did it, I wasn't allowed to return with Soke/Dai-Soke to Okinawa for 3 years. I embarrassed them both, and it took a personal toll on whom I had asked.

*Accept whatever training that's offered; don't demand, nor request, specific training...one's lucky to ever be invited on their floor!! After all, they're the hosts, and guests need to act accordingly.

*Guess who's coming to dinner? Great movie, bad idea if you show up at a dojo without prior arrangements having already been made. It's down right rude; hence it's the fastest way to not receive any training. Remember this...formality, at all times!!

*Remember I mentioned formality, and in that, if you're lucky enough to be invited to visit a dojo while in Okinawa, make sure that you're respective enough to present some small gift for the CI. Oh yeah, don't forget a gift for the CI's wife. It's important enough to remember!! It's the thought that counts, and in Okinawa, you don't have to buy an expensive gift, that alone would only trouble the CI; the gift is a sign of your appreciation!!

*Make any and all arrangements yourself; it's your responsibility!! You need a hotel? Fine! You need a way to get around? Fine! You want to sightsee? Fine? Don't ask the hosting Sensei or the hosting Sensei's students to help you with these because it'll vex them. After all, it's your problem, and not theirs.

Just some tidbits, that I learnt the hard way!!

Now...

Let's put the shoe on the other foot! How do you think this would work if those aforementioned protocols were used in where YOUR school is located with the same fever??

While Soke and Dai-Soke were alive, and while the Hombu was located in Canoga Park, CA...USA, then later in Van Nuys, CA...USA...that formality that they were both born into and raised to follow and obey without any ambiguity whatsoever, they were both Okinawan's, that same formality was alive and well at the Shindokan Hombu!!

Any comments and thoughts??

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

As one someone who lived and trained in Okinawa, I can second what you say. Okinawan people are known for being culturally very easy going, friendly and hospitable towards strangers. While this is true it is unfortunately the reason why okinawans can get very embarrassed or vexed if it seems to them that someone is taking advantage or abusing of their hospitable nature.

Experience living among cultures different from my own taught me that it is always a good idea to inform oneself about the formalities and protocol first. An outsider who does this will be appreciated for showing genuine interest. Better still is to ask for explanation on what is expected and confirmation when one is unsure. An outsider who does this shows the will to fit in and will usually be accepted and respected for it. This shows the outsider is genuinely concerned about what is acceptable in the host group and it is the best way to pay back the host for all the hospitality and efforts to bring in the outsider

It is never a bad idea to learn about the protocol/formalities when one is new somewhere. It is better still to ask about it when one is unsure what to do. Nobody can reasonably expect an outsider to know what took an insider years or a lifetime to learn. It is far worse to insult because one does not care than to embarrass because one does not know.