• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Expanding horizons in MA

Hey,

Bit of a philosophical question but...

I've been with my Wado ryu Karate school some 3 years now and in that time the school has brought on a fitness program from Cage fitness and also started Brazilian Jujitsu classes taught by a instructor from a local school. Lots of exciting things to do and try but i'm finding that perhaps the school has lost some of its focus on the karate side of things. The BJJ has taken off well and i am enjoying it but not as much as my karate. I prefer stand up martial arts. I seem to be very alone in this as a lot of people have been swept up in the completely different aspect of a ground game. Even my Sensei who is now talking of adding more BJJ classes but sticking with the one main karate skills lesson a week.

I have been thinking that it might be time time to expand my MA horizons but i don't know where.

One part of me wants to try another Wado Ryu school but i am aware this is considered rude and unethical if I train at both schools as i don't want to quit completely where i am.

Another part of me wants to try another karate style such as Shotokan or kyokushin (although Kyo may be a little hardcore for me!) Or leave the Karate where it is and now try Taekwando or Muay thai?

Being in the south east of England i have all these schools within 20 minutes drive of where i live.

I guess the other road to go down is to speak to my Sensei about my concerns as a loyal student but even if that improves the karate side of things am i missing an opportunity in my MA development...

That which does not kill us, must have missed us.

- Miowara Tomoka

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm in a similar situation. Our club has grown probably 5 times the size it was when I started training. And in doing so, most of the growth is the constant inflow of younger people and lower ranks. Because of this, the higher ranked classes are starting to suffer, and I'll explain why. We used to have a higher ratio of advanced students (red belt and above) to lower ranked students, so it was easier to split up the classes as such. But now, there are a lot more lower ranked students, and the classes are a lot more mixed. A typical class that I am able to attend now may include myself and 1 other black belt, a brown belt, a red belt, and the rest will be green or lower. And our M.I. will not make anyone leave or sit if they show up to class, so I am actually training at an intermediate level. With all of our work schedules, we can't coordinate many black belt only classes because we're also helping out to teach the younger classes.

So I've been toying with the idea of taking additional classes with an instructor that I met a long time before my current M.I. And it's not a slight to my current M.I. It's just that the spark for me to begin training again came from the other guy a few years ago. But our schedules couldn't mesh, and luckily, my M.I. had a schedule that accomidated my own. The other guy offers Dutch kickboxing and Krav Maga classes, and I'll probably supplement my current training with it. It won't be to replace my current situation. Just add more knowledge to it.

Seek Perfection of Character

Be Faithful

Endeavor

Respect others

Refrain from violent behavior.

I certainly do not envy your position. I think it's important that you express that you do like the bjj but not at the expense of your karate. Ask him what his intentions are for the future. He owes it to you to tell you that he's taking a turn and explain how it affects your ma journey.

I dont even think I would have an issue asking. You are part of the club! One of the guys! You are simply curious about how this affects your journey for better or worse. If your dojo lost its appeal you owe it to yourself to do something about it.

I would stay with a similar system, you have invested quite a bit and you aren't done cooking - keep in mind that if his focus stayed with karate you would be content.

Of course if your feeling the need you gotta scratch the itch. It's your journey after all.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Nothing Worth Having Is Easily Obtained - ESPECIALLY RANK

Don't be afraid to branch out!

I'm not saying you should give up on your current dojo.

Try a week of shotokan classes and see how they appeal to you. Recently at our dojo, we've had several students who have trained for several years in more traditional Okinawan styles, start training at our shotokan dojo and they love it. They also excel and pick things up very naturally.

Another thing, is that UK has a very good history with shotokan karate.

In ISKF, the UK is well known for their strong spirited dojos.

To search for the old is to understand the new.

The old, the new, this is a matter of time.

In all things man must have a clear mind.

The Way: Who will pass it on straight and well?

- Master Funakoshi

One's core shouldn't ever be forgotten. Hence, becoming eclectic has it's benefits to the style, therefore, to the practitioner. This can be freely seen when schools are adding things like...BJJ...TKD...and so on and so forth

Keep looking up; that's where answers/solutions can be found!! However, remember, and often...K.I.S.S., wisdom that's as deep as the ocean.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

...i am aware this is considered rude and unethical if I train at both schools as i don't want to quit completely where i am.

Erm not really! that's a very out dated way of thinking. Out of courtesy you can mention it to your instructor that you intend training at another school, but he shouldn't stop you , and you shouldn't think it rude and unethical - it isn't! You are a consumer in this respect.

Being in the south east of England i have all these schools within 20 minutes drive of where i live.
I'm from your neck of the woods. If you want PM me and I can put you in touch with some excellent Wado schools.
I guess the other road to go down is to speak to my Sensei about my concerns as a loyal student but even if that improves the karate side of things am i missing an opportunity in my MA development...
Possibly, but go with your gut here I would suggest.

K.

Usque ad mortem bibendum!

Thanks for the feedback!

Well i had a great chat to my Sensei last night.

He had a lot to say. He talked about trying to make the school better year on year.

He has friends that run other schools who have fallen into a McDojo model but he wants to keep the school still quite traditional but wants things like the BJJ to become there own entity eventually that can then allow for other things like weapon training classes.

Shockingly he told me of a chap who runs a school who said to him "do you want to be right or do you want to be rich".... what a terrible attitude. Glad my Sensei doesn't agree with him.

I am due to grade First Dan black next month and he talked a lot about the kind of black belt i want to be and that his door is always open.

So basically things sound positive. Roll on the blackbelt grading and see what the next years hold!

That which does not kill us, must have missed us.

- Miowara Tomoka

It sounds like you've got things pretty figured out.

This is an interesting post, as you are asking about "expanding your horizons," and it sounds like your sensei has done just that in his own right, but he just hasn't gone in a direction you prefer. I think its great that your sensei is trying different things into his training. Try to remember, he is still on his journey, too.

I also agree with the comments that Kusotare makes in regards to being a consumer, and your concerns about loyalty to your instructor. But keep in mind what your goals are; if your goals aren't consistent with what your current instructor's are, then there is no need to stay tied to him. You also have to consider where your loyalty lies; is it with your instructor, or with the art? You also have to consider being loyal to yourself.

Best of luck with your grading coming up, and please keep us all posted on how it goes! :karate: