• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Somebody tell me wat's the use of Martial Arts

The purpose of MA's is to learn how to fight. Fortunatellyi in our day you don't carry a sword anymore and the daily routine doesn't necessary include killing some enemies. Thus MA's are more "peaceful". Honestly i don't train just in order to be able to kick b...ts. Hope I'll never have this "opportunity". I like the effort, the skills, the people I meet, the way my body "shapes" up, the time i spend there etc.

The purpose for me now is to do something i really enjoy. And when my "joy" will pass, guess I'll start knitting socks :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To learn how to fight.

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

The purpose of the martial arts turns into what ever each serious student wants in to for their own personal enrichment. Self defense, spritual growth, physical developement all sound good but it is when each person makes it their own that it really becomes something special for them.

Self defense. I don't want someone else to be able to do whatever they want to or take whatever they want from me or my loved ones simply because they don't have an aversion to using violence. I'd like to be a pacifist, but you don't always have the luxury.

There are plenty of other things I get out of it... but it's icing really... those other things I could elsewhere if I had to.

1st Dan Hapkido

Colored belts in Kempo and Jujitsu

When I began at aged 14, Karate was exercise and self defence. At 35, Karate is a way of life for me. It became practice for the sake of practice.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

I started because I wanted to learn self defense. Now I do it for me. The mental side of the arts interests me the most. It helped me build better character. I'm more confident, I have more self esteem, more respect, more self control, and the workout is great too. It keeps me fit. Because if it wasn't for MA, I would be a fat, lazy, beer drinkin' couch potato LOL. Like hobbitbob said, MA is more of a way of life for me.

Laurie F

I guess you may have seen the comic I posted here ramymensa :D

http://www.karateforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4607

Haven't seen it when i was writing the post, but now, that you've poited it out ... :)

Great :D :D :D

Hope I'll never get to the real knitting :karate:

As for your start in MA. All my RESPECT, KickChick.

It's great when you go on such a way open-hearted and with all your enthusiasm. It's quite inspiring. :)

I know I'm a bit new to this board but I'm not new to MA. I study it for three main reasons.

I do Martial Arts for sport. Yes, I'm a high school student and perfer MA over football, basketball, etc. Just as there is nothing more exciting than throwing the perfect pitch, or basket, etc., there is nothing quite like seeing your hand or foot smash a board or two and carrying the broken pieces to the trash. Don't get me started on sparring. :brow:

I do Martial Arts for fitness. I do other things like lifting occasionally, but I do it for MA. I am not very strong or great athlete, but I'm a very balanced athlete in terms of agility/strength/endurance/etc. It gives me a controled confidence that increases both in control and size as I progress.

I do Martial Arts because fighting is simply an awesome concept to understand, and later control. Yes, although it is also sport, a smart martial artist will eventually start understanding what works out there and what doesn't. (Throwing even the fastest of kicks at full power towards random striking areas of your opponent is just as foolish as saying that gun-hoe grappling is the best way to fight.) :wink:

That is all I have to say about that. However, God should be the first reason I exist- and everyday I hope it is.

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."