Somebody tell me wat's the use of Martial Arts

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I have trouble seeing this as an honest question....

It depends on the person and the time.

1. Health: I actually first entered into martial arts because I found other methods of exercise boaring. From the gymnist/TKD person, to the 70-year-old Taiji practitioner, martial arts offers a form of money.

2. Recreation: Similar to reason one, people have a simple interest in learning, performing, or knowing more amout martial arts and triditions (or just idle hands) and enjoy the rec-time.

3. Social Time: Beyond work, many adults lack time to interact with other people. It's also rare in this society to have time where you get to physically interact with anyeone but familty memebers. Martial arts can be a social event and a bonding event.

4. Accomplishment: Weather it's winning the sparring trophy, or just attaining that rank you want; martial arts allwes one to set and achieve goals.

5. Too much / too little testerone: Martial arts can be a place to build aggression, or to vent them away. Many people take MA to become more assertive, while others take them to vent steam on a big bag.

6. Money; Weather they aspire to be the next movie star, or run their own school; martial arts can be a source of a career.

7. Daycare: Two hous at the TKD school is sometimes cheaper than two hours at the daycars, and the Kids do more. (also a form of exrcise to the nintendo crowd).

8. Self defense: I know it comes as a surprise; but some people find that studying martial arts increases their odds of surviving a violent encounter.

How can you be curious about it when you happen to be a TKD student :-? I mean it does say that in your profile ... and also I might add it mentions "girls" too .... maybe you too thought as did ZR440! :wink:

Maybe you think over there in Korea you have a different "use" for your martial art than we do here ....

I thought it might be a good place to meet women. :brow:

I was wrong. :kaioken:

haha :lol:

i do MA firstly because i enjoy it loads! secondly because i hope that one day it will help me out, well i spose i hope i wont need it to help me but you get my point. :D

lol :lol: :lol: must be a trick question KickChick :-? you joined the martial arts for a reason.... do you remeber it.... ah good well that is your use for the martial arts, each to their own.....

Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo, 17 Years Old 1st kyu Brown Belt in in Goju Ryu Karate-do, & Shodan in Okinawan Kobudo

Given enough time, any man may master the physical. With enough knowledge, any man may become wise. It is the true warrior who can master both....and surpass the result.

I AM CANADIAN

oK .... guess I "heard" the question wrong :roll:

so TigerKorea is curious as to "wat" is our use for the martial arts.

...geez, ok ... Yeah I'm old LeaF but I do think I still remember :lol: ... I think the reason was so that my kids would listen to me when I spoke to them otherwise :evil: ...nah, that wasn't it!

True story .... owner of the school I go to was at neighborhood bus stop with his kids and I was there with mine and we got to talking. Next thing I know I am taking my son, watch a few of his classes and decided to try it when the owner's wife was returning to train after years of being away (having 4 kids) and asked me to go with her.

That was 10 years ago and we both tested recently together.

No real apparent reason ... the martial arts "found" me in a sense and I'm glad it did!

The purpose for me is a way to stay physically active, reduce stress, and learn self defense. Oh, did I mention that I enjoy it? This really oversimplifies but I think you get the idea. What about you TigerKorea?

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.