• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Are You Ready To Endure??

Things wanted, and things desired, will require much of those who pursue it with a fever!! Things of this magnitude don't come easy; therefore, the MA isn't suppose to be easy at any level. Will you continue or will you falter at the first sign of trepidation??

Are you a quitter? If not, then prepare to endure!!

*Are the exercises to hard? Then prepare to endure!!

*Is Kihon (basics) to hard?? The prepare to endure!!

*Is Kata (forms) to hard?? Then prepare to endure!!

*Is Kumite (sparring) to hard?? Then prepare to endure!!

*Is the Dojo Kun to hard?? Then prepare to endure!!

*Is Tameshiwara to hard?? Then prepare to endure!!

*Is Tuite to hard?? Then prepare to endure!!

*Is the grappling to hard?? Then prepare to endure!!

*Is the class to long?? Then prepare to endure!!

*Are you afraid of injury?? Then prepare to endure!!

*Are you afraid of testing cycles?? Then prepare to endure!!

*Are you afraid of Kyusho Jitsu?? Then prepare to endure!!

*Are you afraid to practice A LOT?? Then prepare to endure!!

*ETC....

This list just scratches the many, many things that a MA will face on and off the floor!! If you're ready to face them one at a time, and without any undue fears, then prepare to endure!!

I face them, both the known as well as the unknown, but I do not face them because I want to, but because I must, so that I will endure!!

Your thoughts, please!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

To "endure" is to "enjoy" the Martial journey. Perseverance is the key to the practice of the Martial Arts. There is no finish line, just a long journey, that hopefully lasts a lifetime.

I'm sure all of us can think about those who have walked this journey with us, and of those who started this journey with us. But as the journey continues, and we stop to look around, we see that fewer and fewer are still walking with us.

To "endure" is to "enjoy" the Martial journey. Perseverance is the key to the practice of the Martial Arts. There is no finish line, just a long journey, that hopefully lasts a lifetime.

I'm sure all of us can think about those who have walked this journey with us, and of those who started this journey with us. But as the journey continues, and we stop to look around, we see that fewer and fewer are still walking with us.

Solid post!!

Over the many years, faces have come and gone, and I don't fault them if they're no longer on their MA journey: things happen!!

I suppose within this thread, I'm more directing it towards those who are having doubts for whatever reason(s) while training in their selected MA. Those have to fight the good fight, but sometimes the fight just isn't there.

"Sensei, the classes are getting so hard. I love the MA, but, man, it's more than I bargained for. What should I do?" If you love it, then endure that which IS the MA.

Complaining about something that's not in your control will not make the MA much easier. It is what it is!!

Can you endure? It's a test of ones mettle!!

Endure!! I suppose every school of the MA should have that word large and in charge on a prominent wall. Even that, might not encourage!!

what he said.

It seems that if you are truly comfortable and not challenged your doing it wrong.

My wife thinks its fun because I rarely miss

Nothing Worth Having Is Easily Obtained - ESPECIALLY RANK

what he said.

It seems that if you are truly comfortable and not challenged your doing it wrong.

My wife thinks its fun because I rarely miss

I can't argue with that, either!!

It's like my mum says, "good things don't just happen, you have to make them happen". The MAs is no different in that respect. I want my black belt but nobody is going to simply hand it to me because I turn up to every class, I have to PUT THE WORK IN. I might not like every single thing we do, but so what? Suck it up and get on with it! You get out what you put in, right? I'll one day reach my current target because I have endured, then, I'll take a quick breather and focus in on my next target and start the journey towards it.

Mo.

Be water, my friend.

If you want anything of value from the MA, then you have to endure anything that's taxing. Shugyo is how I've endured all these years, and I've had times in my journey were I wanted to pack it in and learn something that's not so vexing. But, each time I'd contemplate other alternatives, I'd hear Dai-Soke yelling..."Shugyo!!", over and over.

After all, he was right when he said..."It's you, not me!!" Or, one of his favorite..."I already know how to do it...do you!?!"

Therefore, I endure, still, not because he made me, but because I pushed through. There are things that will tax you to no end, but that's when the mettle meats the floor. Repetitions are important to anything, and the MA is no exception. Muscle memory depends on it, now and forever.

Endure that which tries you!!

"I don't want to go tonight!" or.... "I don't feel like practicing today!" These are true for work, play, and training, but when you endure, you're very glad that you did.

There certainly seems to be something to riding that wave of frustration and and the constant uphill battle. Im sure its why so many quit, the get swallowed by the wave. They get sick of plugging away, succumb to the frustration of the plateau.

Its so odd, how we are drawn to something so challenging.

Its a testament to the rewards being so sweet i guess.

Nothing Worth Having Is Easily Obtained - ESPECIALLY RANK

There certainly seems to be something to riding that wave of frustration and and the constant uphill battle. Im sure its why so many quit, the get swallowed by the wave. They get sick of plugging away, succumb to the frustration of the plateau.

Its so odd, how we are drawn to something so challenging.

Its a testament to the rewards being so sweet i guess.

Solid post!!

I believe that we're drawn to something so challenging because we're always wanting to challenge ourselves in many venues; it's within our nature, I suppose.

I enjoy the endurance aspect of MA. I was told that folks figured I'd give up after 6 months. 30+ years later, I'm still around. But teaching (or developing) endurance is a gradual thing and we must build in additional motivations along side "I got through another tough class!" otherwise our schools will be more like "The Lord of the Flies" than a place where learning and growth occurs. Most folks who train do not wish to only focus on their training.

Training helps us with the rest of our lives, it isn't the central focus for most students. We need to balance both the ideas of train hard to endure and train because we enjoy it and it helps us on our journey outside the training hall.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton