• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Knee In Choking Attacks

This past week, we spent lots of time moving from side control to a position of greater advantage; knee in, full mount, and S mount. Then, we worked some similar attacks from those positions that tied in with last week.

For our recap, we cover some transitional elements as well as one of my favorites, the baseball bat choke. There's a lot of fundamentals in here that are critical to the position, the transition, as well as multiple attacks.

The other neat thing about this recap, is that a good friend stopped by from another school to roll and we got to do some compare and contrast within jiu jitsu and the same technique to highlight the diversity of the art and how that builds out of the fundamentals. It's a pretty good conversation and probably the most fun recap we've done to date.

So, for your thoughts here it is:

It's a bit longer than most, but I think there's some good discussion starters in there. Enjoy.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Excellent tutorial, as always, Alex!! Great discussion between the three of you!!

How do you help a beginning and/or intermediate student over come the overwhelming feeling of being literally thrown off the training partner when they first set their right knee on or near the stomach/hip at the onslaught of the transitioning??

Soke and Dai-Soke would love to throw you literally off them just as the right knee came in contact with their stomach/hip. And if you managed to not get thrown off, they'd transition to end up on your back.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Again nice setup to your finish. I really like the variation your friend showed.

Sensei8 in my experience with transitioning from side to knee on belly it's just a matter of learning to ride the position in different situations and reactions of people I've been rolling with. Trial and error until I found my sweet spot. But Alex maybe able to give a more detailed answer.

Again nice setup to your finish. I really like the variation your friend showed.

Sensei8 in my experience with transitioning from side to knee on belly it's just a matter of learning to ride the position in different situations and reactions of people I've been rolling with. Trial and error until I found my sweet spot. But Alex maybe able to give a more detailed answer.

I appreciate your answer; I thank you!!

Our new students, and sometimes the newly earned intermediate students tend to "ride" when they're not suppose to, but they do out of desperation and unsureness and lack of experience.

I use to have a rough time maintaining the position. I worked to get to the position during sparing one day and worked to maintain the position with people of various skill levels and I paid close attention to detail of were I was getting thrown off and worked on countering those situations as the arose. I even worked with a partner until they defeated I position stopped and broke down what they did and tried various methods of what I should do in that situation. I'm big on breaking down a position and see what went wrong, right, and would work better. But that is just my method of madness.

I use to have a rough time maintaining the position. I worked to get to the position during sparing one day and worked to maintain the position with people of various skill levels and I paid close attention to detail of were I was getting thrown off and worked on countering those situations as the arose. I even worked with a partner until they defeated I position stopped and broke down what they did and tried various methods of what I should do in that situation. I'm big on breaking down a position and see what went wrong, right, and would work better. But that is just my method of madness.

Solid post!!

I, do what Soke and Dai-Soke did, have students start with the knee up on their partners stomach/hip, and then they try to stay there. Then, same start, but then transition into position appropriately. Trail and errors...just got to love them! Oh, I had my issue with this as well when I was once a beginner and/or a new intermediate student. EXPERIENCE can't always be trumped!!

Very cool stuff. Not that its the same thing, but I see some parallels there to some Wrestling techniques my oldest son has been doing lately, the chicken wing/single wrist, and the double chicken wing. They aren't chokes, and they start with the opponent laying on their belly. But, once he sets the technique, he turns his body in that same circular motion, and winds up with his body in that same north/south position, pinning the opponent:

Different moves, but similar positional ideas. The way the coach taught at practice the other night, the kids were ending pretty much north/south, not as far over the other arm like this guy did.

I enjoyed the recap, especially seeing the two ideas. Your friend's method of really messing up the gi is a cool approach, and one I didn't really think of as being done intentionally. Great recap!