• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Replaceable?

Are they replaceable? In a sense, yes. They are training me for the day I will be ready to train with another. When I have surpassed what they have to offer and they will joyfully point me toward another who's knowledge is what I need at that time. I have been lucky in that I have trained with 4 instructors. One, I grew to the point of needing another at that time. And I may have come close to growing to the point of needing them again. One I have out lived. Another I have not out grown, and have not replaced. The last I grew to be, at least in how things have felt, become a peer in training more than a student many times. So, have I replaced these men who have been my instructors? Yes and no. They have been key in my development along my martial path. Without them I would not be who I am, for good or ill, as a martial artist. So, in that they were irreplaceable. Has any of them lead me to the end of my journey? No, and in that they have been replaced with a new guide to take me further on. I have joined myself to fellow travelers on the path who have seen a little further down the way than I have or can.

Sensei8, with much respect to your Dai-Soke and his instruction of you, I think he took you as far as he could along the martial path. Mortality and time forced you to "replace" him. And I mean no disrespect in saying that. Now in his place you have your students, who from all that you have written here, now teach you very much about the martial arts, though in a different way. And further, he was replaced by you. You now fill those shoes for many others because you were in fact nourished by him martially and it caused you to grow strong in those teachings.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are they replaceable? In a sense, yes. They are training me for the day I will be ready to train with another. When I have surpassed what they have to offer and they will joyfully point me toward another who's knowledge is what I need at that time. I have been lucky in that I have trained with 4 instructors. One, I grew to the point of needing another at that time. And I may have come close to growing to the point of needing them again. One I have out lived. Another I have not out grown, and have not replaced. The last I grew to be, at least in how things have felt, become a peer in training more than a student many times. So, have I replaced these men who have been my instructors? Yes and no. They have been key in my development along my martial path. Without them I would not be who I am, for good or ill, as a martial artist. So, in that they were irreplaceable. Has any of them lead me to the end of my journey? No, and in that they have been replaced with a new guide to take me further on. I have joined myself to fellow travelers on the path who have seen a little further down the way than I have or can.

Sensei8, with much respect to your Dai-Soke and his instruction of you, I think he took you as far as he could along the martial path. Mortality and time forced you to "replace" him. And I mean no disrespect in saying that. Now in his place you have your students, who from all that you have written here, now teach you very much about the martial arts, though in a different way. And further, he was replaced by you. You now fill those shoes for many others because you were in fact nourished by him martially and it caused you to grow strong in those teachings.

Solid post!!

And...thank you!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!