• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Replaceable?

For whatever the one reason that might entertain even the thought, it'll be yours!! And if you are entertaining it, are you serious about it or are you just getting it off your chest?? Do you need a pause, if only for a moment to think about it more rationally, if it's only possible??

This one person has been that constant beacon of reason to your training/learning. Your challenged! Your betterment is improving daily!! Your journey remains!!

However, things happen!! Some beyond your control, but they do happen!!

So I ask you...

Is your Instructor REPLACEABLE??

I could never imagine my life without Dai-Soke, but I've had to do just that!! No, imho, he was NOT replaceable!! Not in even the most slightest shape, way, and/or form!!

Let our discussion begin!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Sensei is certainly not replaceable--he is a fundamental part of my karate journey. That said, he believes (and hopes) that there will come a day when he has a student who has nothing left to learn from him, and then that student should seek further instruction from someone else. I don't see that as replacement, though, but as addition. I'm certainly anywhere near that point, anyway :P

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

No I do not think my sensei was replaceable, however I believe he wanted me to feel that way.

I'll explain... his perspective was that at some point all of his students would advance to the point that they would be able to replace him.

He would always tell us that some day he would have the honor of reciting Hohan Sokens Death Poem to us and his life's work would be imagined.

I believe if you are a honest and humble teacher that only wants the best for your students, you at some point want your students to become better than you and cease to depend on you.

Before Sensei retired he read the death poem to a select group of us and was very happy that he was finally able to do so.

To those of you unfamiliar with the poem it's not about death but about passing on your knowledge to the next generation. The student becomes the teacher if you will.

I think that our teachers are un-replaceable in terms of finding another teacher (unless they are unworthy to begin with) but at some point I believe our teachers want us to replace them.

I believe if you are true to the foundation of the student/instructor relationship your goal is to see your students out grow and reach beyond your teachings. At least this is what my Sensei taught me. More or less like a parent wanting more for a child than they had.

Devil Dog

Godan

Shorin ryu, goju ryu, isshin ryu, kobudo.

I think replaceable is the wrong word. I think for most people, their sensei is important and not someone you can swap in and out. That said I think you can outgrow them and it would be very naive to think that noone else had something to offer you.

Sometimes you may find your sensei cannot teach you something so you have to seek out supplementary teachers (e.g. finding a grappling coach if you want to learn ground work). Other times, and I think this is the goal of most instructors, you eventually have little left to learn from them so must move on to more senior and experienced sensei. And although not the best reason, sometimes your goals and directions no longer align and it is the right time to part ways and move on to something/someone else.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

My current sensei is not replaceable. His teachings could not fit my preferences any better.

I would not consider my past 2 sensei's replaceable either, however 1 has retired, and the other I did not agree with the financial practices of. I would not be where I am without his guidance at an early age though.

To search for the old is to understand the new.

The old, the new, this is a matter of time.

In all things man must have a clear mind.

The Way: Who will pass it on straight and well?

- Master Funakoshi

I agree with the term replaceable.

Some people simply don't have a need for a connection and some people have different standards.

Some people ask themselves:

Is he knowledgeable?

Is he an effective instructor?

Are his rates reasonable?

Does it fit my schedule?

While others ask in addition:

Who is this person?

What are his or her goals?

What are their goals for me?

Do they genuinely care about my progress and growth?

The first set you can deem as replaceable - not necessarily inferior.

The second set is way more rare and to me, valuable. I can answer every question there easily

very

very

very

yes

A true martial artist who has a great lineage and is well respected

To learn, grow and teach

for me to be the best at my rank, to guide me to achieve what he knows I can achieve

absolutely!

Nothing Worth Having Is Easily Obtained - ESPECIALLY RANK

My senseis/ Kru have mostly been amazing. Teaching wise, i've got some of the best intstuction I've had, and i've trained a lot. Not just as a teacher, but they've became good friends.

Now, i've trained at some places, I could "replace" do to crappy teaching and training.

Per Aspera Ad Astra