• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

This week we are back on track with our recap videos. We spent all week drilling top side attacks. Specifically, we focused on working off the underhooking escape movement from bottom side.

Here is the effort:

This is a really great moment for me since this is the first video we got to shoot in the new place. So, what options does everyone else use from here?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Great tutorial, Alex!! Loved it, especially because it involved a choke.

This choke was difficult for me when I first learnt it because I kept getting tied up in my own arms...and it was like trying to figure out a boy scout knot....unnatural, to say the least.

How do you address the new student who's confused with proper arm placements as you transition into the choke?

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Great question!

We actually ran this as well this week. I start by taking the transition out of it altogether. To teach the choke ground up I actually start by having the partners laying on their side, 90 degrees from the ground. Then, I have them feed the top hand into the underhook position and to the back.

With this set up, the student doing the choke needn't worry about feeling the movement that leads to the choke, they only have to focus on the placement of the arms and the mechanics of the pressure. These two factors alone are complex enough when you start learning this choke.

Some times, with new white belts with short time on, I'll even break down to just have them rep the arm placement alone first. Then add the actual finish the sub.

Now, once students have these parts, we will add it into the transition from the escape effort.

Great answer!!

Take it apart...put it back together...but only in a way that the new student can understand. Taking the transition out, then adding it later, when appropriate, is solving many obstacles before their frustration gets the best of them.

Thank, Alex!! I love it!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!