• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Traditional Koryu Bujutsu

Just thought I'd share this...

All Judo / Jujutsu / BJJ - disseminate from the schools represented here.

Of course in embu only the tip of the iceberg is shown (because most of it is hidden teachings) - but as a History buff and a Budo-ka - I love this...

Nothing is new...

K.

Usque ad mortem bibendum!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Just thought I'd share this...

All Judo / Jujutsu / BJJ - disseminate from the schools represented here.

Of course in embu only the tip of the iceberg is shown (because most of it is hidden teachings) - but as a History buff and a Budo-ka - I love this...

Nothing is new...

K.

LOVED IT...thanks for sharing it!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I did like it, very cool stuff and certainly historical in nature. I was most fond of seeing the armored demonstration and the firearms portion.

I agree, the root of judo and BJJ is somewhere in there. I think you see Aikido more prevalently. That said, it's the root. Both arts have moved forward from here. It's neither good nor bad, just the evolution of the art.

While, very neat, and authentic I'm sure, you see a lack of positional control that is the hallmark of modern "self defense" jiu jitsu is lacking. Again, this is not a slam, it's just what it is. These things evolve.

So while yes, I'll give you that the roots are here, there is plenty that's new in modern arts. Heck, even BJJ "new" compared to what we saw in the first generation of practitioners.

That said, it was a really cool vid!

I agree, the root of judo and BJJ is somewhere in there. I think you see Aikido more prevalently. That said, it's the root. Both arts have moved forward from here. It's neither good nor bad, just the evolution of the art.

Well Aikido's ancestors are in there too - The guys wrestling in armour are from the Takenouchi-ryu which, is basically one of the progenitive art to all of the above.

... you see a lack of positional control that is the hallmark of modern "self defense" jiu jitsu is lacking.

That's an interesting observation.

I'm very sure these guys were acutely aware of their "positional control" - simply because their lives depended upon it.

Embu is never a great way to judge such things, and also - when it comes to positional control, remember these guys were performing kata - often incorporating "kogusoku" or grappling with weapons which - by definition requires a shift perhaps in ma-ai and thus positioning.

These guys were no slouches - they couldn't be if they wanted to stay alive.

K.

Usque ad mortem bibendum!

Sure. And I'm not bagging on any of it, just to be clear. Like I said, I really liked the video. And again, the origins are there.

But you very well pointed out, they were doing grappling for a different reason. What we see now in grappling arts (speaking specifically to BJJ here) is highly specialized section of grappling. It's not what you see here, again, that's not good or bad, it's just a fact.

And I'm not arguing the root is here, but what we're doing now is certainly not what they are doing. Positional control as I'm talking about is the applied pressure to an individual to isolate limbs and limit hip mobility. There's some force, counter force applied against the joints here, but no real isolation.

Again, I'm not judging. If I had a weapon to stab a downed guy with I wouldn't worry about it either, but I go back to we're looking at the root vs. a specialized sub set of skills that have evolved. Things do change and become new.