• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Difference in weight and height

So I started Jiu-Jitsu about 4 months ago to up my ground game (no experience in the ground game, only standing). From my experience with the stand up fight I had a biased opinion about weight / height differences. I'm 25 but light (60kg) and not very tall (1.64 m).

During last training I was up against a guy around 80kg, probably 1.75m or so. To my suprise I easily chocked him out (collar choke). I did not try to get him unconcious, that was somewhat by accident because I though I had to use a bit more force due to his weight / height, plus he didn't tap out. I apologised nevertheless because it was unintentional and all was well, but it's good to realise that weight / height differences are less of a problem on the ground than in a standing fight.

"The ultimate aim of the art of karate lies not in victory or defeat, but in the perfection of the characters of its participants."

Gichin Funakoshi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Weight can still be an issue on the ground, but skill plays into is as well. It could be more to do with lack of skill, but not necessarily. When all other things are equal, size will always play some sort of factor. But keep training, and always try to partner with different body styles and skill levels so that you can push yourself.

I agree.

In the early days of the jiu jitsu influx into America, this was VERY true. We saw smaller people defeating larger opponents on a regular basis. Now, the jiu jitsu cat is out of the bag. Everyone is training at some level to deal with the ground. Wrestlers, who have an exceptional base for fighting from the ground, have learned to protect themselves from jiu jitsu. Thus the domination that we once saw is less pronounced.

Now, big guys do jiu jitsu as well. When this happens, it creates a dangerous individual who can apply strength and athleticism across functional technique.

Still, the art is designed on leverage, and when performed properly this can make a huge difference.