• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Guard Pass from Combat Base

This week we spent doing nothing but guard passes. Starting with breaks (focusing on standing breaks this time around) and running all the way thru spider guard, we pass a lot of guard configurations.

This sequence is from our Monday night class where we spend time on fundamental movement. Here, we're using the combat base knee to pass the guard. This time, we move opposite the knee slide and look at two variations.

Check it out:

As always, comments and discussion welcome. What's the consensus here, knee slide, X pattern, or behind the leg, which has preference? Who likes what?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Nice. I like the set-up. Guard passing is something I've had issues with, and seeing how you set up helps.

I have an unrelated question, in regards to your side control. We have several wrestlers in our DT club, and when they get to side control, they throw their hips and legs towards the head, which makes it really tough to circle around to try to get back to guard. Any recommendations on that? What's your opinion on that side control position versus the one you always show with the knees into the hips and shoulder?

Both variations are excellent options. It's a trade off, with the knees out, you have higher levels of pressure. With the knees in, you have better isolation of the hips. Understanding that, you can apply each based on what you're opponent is doing.

For shimpers, I always go knees tight. This limits the ability of these people to get their knees back in to recompose guard. For bridgers, I tend to go knees out to drop more weight and minimize the bridge.

That said, it's largely a matter of preference and what you can make work given what you like to follow position up with. This again leads to a trade off. The knees back allow you many times to go two on one when you look to attack the far arm. But you're looking at giving up a potential move by the bottom man to north/ south position.

This can relieve some of the pressure from the position.

Each of these positions will offer pros and cons. Most people will end up moving between the two as needed.

Both variations are excellent options. It's a trade off, with the knees out, you have higher levels of pressure. With the knees in, you have better isolation of the hips. Understanding that, you can apply each based on what you're opponent is doing.

For shimpers, I always go knees tight. This limits the ability of these people to get their knees back in to recompose guard. For bridgers, I tend to go knees out to drop more weight and minimize the bridge.

That said, it's largely a matter of preference and what you can make work given what you like to follow position up with. This again leads to a trade off. The knees back allow you many times to go two on one when you look to attack the far arm. But you're looking at giving up a potential move by the bottom man to north/ south position.

This can relieve some of the pressure from the position.

Each of these positions will offer pros and cons. Most people will end up moving between the two as needed.

Solid post and solid tutorial!! Your amazing, Alex!! I respect your teaching methodology quite a lot!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!