• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Guard Recovery from the Double Under Pass

This week in class was about transitions from closed to open guard. This is all about building confidence to be versatile from guard. By utilizing this transition time, you open the window on opportunity to attack, sweep, or anything else you might want to do.

In this recap we look at using this time to counter the double under pass. This lets us start our recovery prior to a full static position achieved and greatly enhances our chances of recovery.

Check it out and discuss:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I like that. It gives me some thoughts on how to use my legs to keep someone from getting to side mount on me, which happens a lot. Do you have any suggestions on modifications for no-gi?

Glad it's got you thinking bushidoman! Working the legs to control distance early in the pass is the key. As for grips vs. no gi the immediate modification is going palm to the back of the elbow and grip to the wrist rather than the use of the material.

More importantly, your hip movement MUST be on. There is no compensation thru the grip. This is aided by early detection of the pass. I start looking for this as soon as the double unders start to go. That allows your reaction to match his action. You short cut the OODA loop if you start doing it that way.

Also, bear in mind the gi game is a lot about the push/ pull control on body parts and gi grips. Without that, things become more dynamic, and this is no exception. Work driving the knee once it's in the upper arm. I know, I'm usually against such things, but no gi is a bit different animal.

Nice option! I shared to my guys. There's a couple of hard core stack passers in my group and I think this will help them.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."