• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I Knew More When I Was A White Belt

Interesting article. and how true..

I Knew More When I Was A White Belt - By Karen Eden

TaekwondoTimes - November 2000

Its true. I knew more when I was a white belt. Its funny: the more you train, the more you begin to realize how little you really know. I'm estimating that by the time I'm a master, I'll be one of the dumbest people on the planet. Let me explain to you what I mean.

When I was a white belt, I knew that people would respect me because I was a martial artist. Now I realize that I don't need anyone's respect. Yet, I can still respect others because I respect myself first.

When I was a white belt, I was positive that my newfound discipline would be enough to get me through my hustle and bustle lifestyle. My years of training have since taught me that I need to slow down.

As a white belt, I knew I would have the confidence to stand up and kick anybody's butt who belittled me. As a black belt, I know to just turn around and go home.

When I began my "grasshopper" days, I knew that with training would come a brand new, shiny positive outlook on life. Now I just pray a lot more.

I've read dozens of books on "warriorship," and have seen every Van Damme, Segal and Chuck Norris movie—all to help me become a champion in the ring. Now I realize that fighting is just like life: you do the best you

can with what you have and wait to see what happens next.

I can remember how important it seemed to be able to look at myself in the mirror and see that black belt wrapped around my waist. Now I know its just a piece of material. The real belt is wrapped around my heart and displayed in my attitude. The pride I thought I would feel has gradually been replaced by humility in realizing how tremendous the world is and how little I really know.

Back then I didn't realize the awareness I would develop even in the little things like wondering how long a turkey would live if nobody ever shot him; why fireflies light up like that; or how a brown cow eats green grass

and produces white milk. It sounds simple, but it's a simplicity that I never realized until I became so "high-ranked."

Seasons come and go. Perhaps you can't kick as high or you forget a move or two but, take it from me, you can't stop the journey once you set your feet on that path. It's the same path that martial artists have trodden for the past three thousand years. The further you go, the more you realize how far you have to go.

Karen Eden is a third degree black belt and instructor of Tang Soo Do under the direction of Master C. S. Kirn in Pittsburgh PA. She is also

a broadcast journalist and published author {The Complete idiot's Guide to Toe Kwon Do: Simon and Schuster Macmillan.) Email: KyosaK@Capa.Net.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

source: http://www.albertataekwondo.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

John G Jarrett

III Dan, ITF Taekwon-Do

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Interesting...it sounds a lot like life! :idea: The older I get, the less I know, it's no different in the martial arts. Thanks for the perspective.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

Cool article john, thank you for posting it :)

Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo, 17 Years Old 1st kyu Brown Belt in in Goju Ryu Karate-do, & Shodan in Okinawan Kobudo

Given enough time, any man may master the physical. With enough knowledge, any man may become wise. It is the true warrior who can master both....and surpass the result.

I AM CANADIAN

When I was a white belt, I knew that people would respect me because I was a martial artist. Now I realize that I don't need anyone's respect. Yet, I can still respect others because I respect myself first.

When I was a white belt, I was positive that my newfound discipline would be enough to get me through my hustle and bustle lifestyle. My years of training have since taught me that I need to slow down.

As a white belt, I knew I would have the confidence to stand up and kick anybody's butt who belittled me. As a black belt, I know to just turn around and go home.

Sounds to me like she has come a long way since being a white belt. :-?

I believe she has hasn't "learned" more but has become more self-aware.

:idea:

Thanks for posting that John ...

Seasons come and go. Perhaps you can't kick as high or you forget a move or two but, take it from me, you can't stop the journey once you set your feet on that path. It's the same path that martial artists have trodden for the past three thousand years. The further you go, the more you realize how far you have to go.

This is true of many things in life. With age and experience comes wisdom. If we are lucky we all learn what really matters and what is unimportant.

great article :up:

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

• 1 month later...

Great article ... full of meanings ...

As for myself ... I DO know a lot more than when I was a white black, and trust me I really don't want to go back in those agonising times :)

As I'll mature as a martial artist I'll feel I don't know anything, but till then I try to learn as much as possible. :karate: