• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Each students' journey is theirs alone! Do not compare your progress with another-only use it as a guide to where you are going....you will get there in your own time!

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you all for your comments. Just to let you know that I am determined to keep going. I will get this right. I will learn Karate.

There you go; the rest is, as they say, up to you!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

just take your tie bro you will do fine there was this guy who tested for yellow with me and he is now brown belt im only blue because he was 2nd degreee in tkd and he joined american kenpo karate so don't worry take your time you will do great roundhouse is easy ill teach ya it in skype if you want i wanan be your friend because i wanna see ya progress

I love Shotokan Karate Do and American Kenpo Karate

just take your tie bro you will do fine there was this guy who tested for yellow with me and he is now brown belt im only blue because he was 2nd degreee in tkd and he joined american kenpo karate so don't worry take your time you will do great roundhouse is easy ill teach ya it in skype if you want i wanan be your friend because i wanna see ya progress

Take him up on the offer to Skype train; it might just do the trick!!

Roundhouse is easy??? tell that to my rubbish balance. I'll think about the offer of Skype thank you.

Well...it is easy...but only in time!!

Remember that the roundhouse kick is done, and should only be done, for the most, in 4 steps: up...out...back...down!! Maintaining balance can be challenging when training the 4 steps separately especially when the instructor is having you hold each step count until the next count is called out.

Make sure that you've properly stretched before attempting any MA technique to avoid any unnecessary injury to yourself. You'll maintain balance better if you're properly stretched.

When training the 4 steps individually at home, try using a chair or a pulley or something to help you train both the roundhouse kick as well as your balance.

Balance is weakened when the body is allowed to swing too far; this makes it impossible to focus the kick to the intended target. Make sure that you return the kicking leg to the ready position, i.e., step 3 (Back), after kicking; this damages your posture, and you need balance AND posture at all times. Don't swing the kicking leg forward without having bent it first, hence, your legs aren't sticks, instead, your legs have joints, so don't kick stiff legged. Don't bend your body too far away from the intended target because balance is weakened; keep your body straight as possible. I'm sure your Insrructor has pointed out the many things involved in executing the roundhouse kick, so remember them! After all, his guidance trumps mine!!

A lot to remember, but in time, you'll not even remember these struggles; they'll be nothing more than a distant memory!!

Have fun and train hard!!

I'd also practice doing the kick low. One way to really upset your balance is to kick too high. Try working on the mechanics of the kick at an easy level for you. Thigh kicks can be just as devistating as any other kick if done right. Maybe train the mechanics of the roundhouse geared towards that level.

As a side note, I'm a nidan in Shorin Ryu, 40 years old, and not very flexible. When doing the roundhouse kick in the air, I feel very uncoordinated. However, when kicking a bag, I feel like Jean Claude Van Damme! It's a lot easier to do the kick with proper mechanics when you have a real target and real impact. You may be able to kill 2 birds with one stone- if you are worried about partner work as well, get a partner and work on the kick with the partner as a target. This will also help you with your focus.

Seek Perfection of Character

Be Faithful

Endeavor

Respect others

Refrain from violent behavior.

I need to have a word with my Sensei about the partner work. I'm 4ft 9 and because of my height im partnered with an under 15 because of the height. I'm not very happy about this. And I cannot practice partner work at home as I live on my own an no friends to help.

I need to have a word with my Sensei about the partner work. I'm 4ft 9 and because of my height im partnered with an under 15 because of the height. I'm not very happy about this. And I cannot practice partner work at home as I live on my own an no friends to help.

My question, with this, is "why are you not happy about this?"

Is it because you can't train properly with those partners, or is it because you don't like being partnered with a child when you are an adult? This is an important distinction, in my opinion. If you legitimately can't train properly because your partner is too small, too weak, or not serious enough, then that is certainly a problem that your Sensei should address. If it is just that you do not like working with someone so young (and I can understand why you would feel that way), I would urge you to try to overcome that feeling.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society