• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I had a good talk with my Sensei after class tonight. He said I shouldn't beat myself up and I am making progress with roundhouse and Pinan Needan. I'm doing better than what I thought. I think I was just worried that I should be doing a lot better than what I am.

Welcome to the forum. Please understand something. You CAN roundhouse kick. Just poorly, right??? Welcome to the martial arts! NONE OF US HAVE MASTERED ANYTHING. We strive to be better then we were yesterday and thats it. Some are gifted with great kicks, your strengths might be in other places but your kicks will come along - trust your sensei and trust yourself. Be patient.

Put your hand on a wall, bring your leg up to chamber and throw 25 kicks a few times a day slowly, then try staying off the wall. Then hit a bag lightly for form. You need to build the muscles and the balance. BUT PLEASE DONT STRESS IT. We all have our struggles.

Getting frustrated is normal. This is something you have to push through - it will set you apart from the rest and your kicks will be better then most peoples for it because you are spending the extra effort.

GOOD LUCK

Nothing Worth Having Is Easily Obtained - ESPECIALLY RANK

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did notice last night that I don't have any power in my front kick or roundhouse... Would ankle weights (or foot weights not sure of what they are called) help with this issue? Just to let everyone know before I started Karate I only had one hobbie/interest in my life...creative writing. I was a very unfit person when I first started the martial arts.

I did notice last night that I don't have any power in my front kick or roundhouse... Would ankle weights (or foot weights not sure of what they are called) help with this issue? Just to let everyone know before I started Karate I only had one hobbie/interest in my life...creative writing. I was a very unfit person when I first started the martial arts.

Ankle weights can help in building stronger kicks BUT be very careful with them, don't kick fast or with power, if you do this you risk tendon/ligament injuries. If you're going to do it, don't go any heavier than 1.5kg and do your kicks slowly and methodically, do maybe 2 sets of 10 on each leg for each kick and build from there. Resistance bands are also useful for building strong kicks.

Mo.

Be water, my friend.

Also good to point out that, as a yellow belt, you're not expected to have *too* much power. At that level, you really want to focus more on your technique, balance, and focus. Developing power is really the work of an upper belt, after they've developed decent technique, as good power comes from good technique and trying to put too much power with poor technique could lead to injuries.

I'd consult with your instructor before attempting weights. Ask him to assess your technique to see if you're ready to use the weights safely and then maybe bring them into class and have him show you the best way to work with them for strength building. In the meantime-- maybe do some squats, sprinting, or more traditional strength building activities.

Personally I wouldn't touch weights, normal regular training will strengthen everything you need. You can supplement this with gym work, running etc.

I have students who I can push over with one finger, they are training for enjoyment, self confidence and improvement.

There are also a few scrawny looking senior grades who you can't push over but years of training got them there.

I remember the first time I did a front kick against a pad - nothing happened! Eventually I learnt good technique and can now hit the pad with force which pushes the person back as well.

Edited by mal103

No weights!

Your problem is technique. Work the technique and power will follow

Can't argue with the simplicity of it!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I had a good talk with my Sensei after class tonight. He said I shouldn't beat myself up and I am making progress with roundhouse and Pinan Needan. I'm doing better than what I thought. I think I was just worried that I should be doing a lot better than what I am.
Ditto on the no weights sentiment. Honestly as a yellow belt they will be a bit overkill at the his point. You'd be better off taking it slow and working on some general strength building such as bodyweight squats, assisted with a chair if you need to, and practicing kicking slow with a chair or wall for support. Maybe build up a small amount of running distance.

TBH no-one's roundhouse looks even remotely like it should until you've had at the very minimum a year of practicing it. Kicking is awkward. Most people spend their lives with their legs going backwards and forwards; walking, running, climbing stairs. Kicks like roundhouses and side kicks aren't intuitive.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I think it's pretty common at the beginning to feel like you aren't progressing as fast as you should. But in reality, a lot of that is just the wrong way of thinking. For example, let's say you had to learn and perform Heian Shodan in order to pass your white belt. When you pass the belt, is Heian Shodan now mastered? Far from it! Items on the list of what needs to be known for a particular belt just mean you should be able to do these moves and katas at a level appropriate for that belt. Black belts are still perfecting their basics, and with a kata a deeper understanding also develops over years of karate. You are not perfecting and moving on, you are simply adding to your list of things to study and improve! Like many a Sensei will often say, black belt is not the end but the beginning. When black belt is achieved you have an arsenal of basics that you can begin to really study more deeply and perfect. And the learning doesn't end there either. Remember that this is a journey, and as long as you continue to focus, put in effort and improve, you are progressing appropriately.

It is always harder to see changes in ourselves than for others to notice it. Self evaluations are always biased in one way or another; and at various stages of learning one can start to have doubts or become discouraged with training. Training and practising longer usually brings more questions than it answers, but questions are good because they are the seeds from which knowledge, improvement and mastery grow.