• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Fictional movies that inspired a specific...

Please don't laugh at me but I'm going to say that I did like Karate Kid (The original version.)

I was a 16 year old brown belt when that came out. It motivated me to train then....and it still does today. You're in really good company :) :karate:

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If nobody joined you in the chant, then you obviously weren't in the company of true martial arts fans!! Must have been around a bunch of soccer moms.

Seek Perfection of Character

Be Faithful

Endeavor

Respect others

Refrain from violent behavior.

As a kid, I took judo from Gene LeBell. The most important thing I learned from him was a skill he used as a stuntman almost every time I saw him on TV, how to fall correctly. I suppose I wasn't exactly inspired by seeing him beat up by Starsky and Hutch, but I was proud. I knew he could take 'em if he wanted to!

John - ASE Martial Arts Supply

https://www.asemartialarts.com

Please don't laugh at me but I'm going to say that I did like Karate Kid (The original version.)

I was a 16 year old brown belt when that came out. It motivated me to train then....and it still does today. You're in really good company :) :karate:

Top film love 'that' film (I do like the new one but that one is just the best!)

FYI: My love of that film has nothing at all to do with being 16 years old and Elisabeth Shue! ;-)

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

Top film love 'that' film (I do like the new one but that one is just the best!)

FYI: My love of that film has nothing at all to do with being 16 years old and Elisabeth Shue! ;-)

Hey, I won't judge you! I was only 10, but "Ali with an "i" kicked my hormones into gear as well!!!

The cool thing about Karate Kid is that my Godmother took me to see it when it came out, and I had a great time going to the movies with her. When I started in Shotokan, there were similarities in the techniques we learned, but a lot of differences. But when I started taking Shorin Ryu, I could really see the similiarities! That cat stance Miyagi busted out after taking out all 5 Kobra Kais was textbook! And the "wax on, sand floor, paint house" blocks- when I started in Shorin Ryu, as I was doing block sequences in the garage, my wife asked me if I had just watched "Karate Kid"!

Seek Perfection of Character

Be Faithful

Endeavor

Respect others

Refrain from violent behavior.

I very much liked Jackie Chan movies, especially Drunken Master.

Also anime and manga is quite inspirational, like History strongest disciple kenichi, All rounder meguru, or Karate Shoukushi Minoru.

A style is just a name.