• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Fictional movies that inspired a specific...

As a child, I definitely loved the power rangers and teenage mutant ninja turtles.

Indeed, I forgot about those! I don't think the turtles played much of a role because for some reason I never really related them to what I was doing and as far as the power rangers I was already training when they came out but I did enjoy the show.

Black belt AFAF # 178

Tang Soo Do

8th Kyu

Matsubayashi ryu shorin ryu karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent topic!

There wasn't any one movie technique that made me want to learn something new, but I was always inspired by JCVD and his power and stretching as the poster above me.

There are a couple of movies that inspired me in general the first was Jet Li's fearless, that movie really made me look at things differently. A man has lost everything and then finds himself again through MA training, though I never had a loss like he did in that movie I was certainly inspired to find myself again.

The second movie was Ip Man with Donnie Yen, he is one of the best MA actors of all time IMHO, those 2 Ip Man movies with him in them really made me take a look at myself and go, "wow I need a lot of work" The fighting action sequences were excellent but again these movies showcase the life benefits of MA, not just fighting.

The final thing that I was inspired by was not a film but rather a youtube video and it was the TKD 720 kick, I know this is probably the most useless technique ever in terms of self defense but it looks really cool and seems to generate a ton of power, so I was working on that before I got injured but I will continue to try to nail that thing down, it's pretty cool.

I have to check that one out since when you mentioned it, I thought about his movie "the meltdown" who also played another character that lost everything (his wife and child).

The Meltdown was one of my favorite movies, I mean really, Jet Li seems like a such a cool guy in a sense that he is a rational and level headed guy and I have never heard any bad stories

In regards to Van Dam, without getting off-topic I will say this, he did attain some levels of martial arts and although his character might be weak, he still does have some martial arts skills. For me, boxer Zab Judah went from hero to zero when I saw him assaulting people for no good reason. Even though I don't like the guy anymore, I still maintain that he has good boxing skills.

Great martial artist with poor character are a big led down for us all!

It begins with the knowledge that the severity of a strikes impact is amplified by a smaller surface area.

I thought about his movie "the meltdown" who also played another character that lost everything (his wife and child).

You know, I think that is the other one that I saw years ago. I remember a movie with him that inspired me so much and while fearless did as well and had a similar story line, perhaps the meltdown was the one that I saw years ago. I never knew the name of the movie and I never could find it but I always remembered how that movie had taken me as a teen who had given up on MA back into this world all by itself! I will have to see if I can locate that somewhere.

Black belt AFAF # 178

Tang Soo Do

8th Kyu

Matsubayashi ryu shorin ryu karate

Great thread!!!!

I was always the hugest fan of the old school shaw brothers Kung fu movies- kid with the golden arms and 5 deadly venoms and many more, but the perfect weapon with Jeff Speakman really got me sucked in.

Nothing Worth Having Is Easily Obtained - ESPECIALLY RANK

TMNT!!

Donatello was my favourite, and coincidentally, I am now a scientist who practices with a bo staff on a daily basis :D

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

Is Boxing martial arts? I think so. Mike Tyson battled demons too yet he was an AMAZING fighter.

Tyson is also very much trying a completely new mind set these days. I say "good on him" Is JCVD? idk.

JCVD did however as others have mentioned win pro karate fights. He also has excellent form and excellent flexibility. His conditioning for what he does? Excellent. I will admit to loving several JCVD movies back in the day but find them unwatchable now. (except for the final scene boss fights...I will still watch those parts) Admit it...he's been pretty cool in the Expendable movies! So overall I think he's done alright for himself.

Jet Li is awesome but his martial arts is Wu Shu. There are those that question the validity of a performing/theatrical martial arts. Not me. Not when you see the level of physical perfection that is achieved by it's practitioners. Just saying.

But to the person that got me all "excited" about MA? Probably mostly Bruce Lee. He was the only one that I recognized. As a child my TV got three channels.

One channel seemed to focus on soap operas all the time. The other seemed to run game shows and talk shows all the time. The third played endless 70s karate and 70's sci-fi movies. I left it on the third channel.

Very off topic, sorry.

JCVD, Dolph Lundgren, Chuck Norris, Power Rangers, Bruce Lee ...

It never ceases to amaze me just how much stick JCVD gets!

Yet nothing, nadda, zip big fat zero is said about the Power Rangers and the Zords and the 'monsters' !

I mean come on at least JCVD fought other 'humans', most of them famous fighters in there own right!

maybe we need or there is a thread in here asking who your MA hero is and why!

Anyone?

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

My MA heroes? Bruce Lee, first and foremost. JCVD at the time was my hero. But only before he let his demons take over his life. Lyoto Machida and Georges St. Pierre would have to be included. Jackie Chan, Jet Li. And I'm a big fan of Jason Statham. I believe he is a Wing Chun practitioner.

Basically, anyone that dedicates themselves to a life perfecting his or herself thru their chosen art would be a hero to me.

Seek Perfection of Character

Be Faithful

Endeavor

Respect others

Refrain from violent behavior.

I was a huge Chuck Norris fan. We went to see "Forced Vengeance" in a theater, then went across the street and I signed up for Taekwondo classes. More than 32 years later, I'm still a Norris fan. I got a chance to meet him once. He is a nice guy.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton