• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

New Year's Kata

Wastelander

A few years ago, a friend of mine started a tradition of welcoming the New Year with kata out in the yard. This year, we decided to run the first kata we ever learned (Wansu), and the last kata we learned (for me, that's Gojushiho/Useishi). I've kind of Shorin-Ryu-ized Wansu, so I apologize to my Shuri-Ryu friends for that :P. It's colder for my friend, back in Illinois, than it is for me here in Arizona, but tonight was still pretty chilly (less than 40 degrees Fahrenheit) and rainy. Normally, we do this without shoes of any kind, but I forgot to clean the yard up, today, so I had to wear sandals. That actually turned out to be worse, because the wet grass not only made my feet numb, but also made the sandals stick to the ground, and made my feet slide around on the sandals!

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Yes, there are kiai points, but I often don't audibly kiai when I practice by myself. In the first kata, Wansu, the kiai points are on the pull/uppercut after the front kick, and on the downward palm heel strike after the spin. In Gojushiho/Useishi, the kiai points are at the first standing swim-block/spear hand facing the front, and at the double spear hand facing the rear in cat stance. Of course, those are just for the styles I learned these kata in. Other styles and organizations have kiai points in different places.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Kiai vary greatly from style to style and person to person. I attended a Dojo a few years ago that never had Kiai louder than a sharp out breath. They were JKA, when they heard my Kiai they thought I was mad. I've heard some strange ones, from the classic "Aye" to the hilarious "Tai-Ho" in a comedy Welsh accent. If it's a shout or a whisper it doesn't matter, but my pet hate is the fake Kiai, you'll notice even advanced grades do this, it really gets on my wick. If you are not putting in the effort or you are not fully focused, don't utter a noise for the sake of it; it's not just disrespectful, it's silly.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

Not wanting to turn this into a kiai thread, nicely done, both kata's, considering you were doing it in sandals, and in the backyard, which can possess a hole or two, and some rocks!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!