• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

knockout "point fighting"

chrissyp

I was wondering, if there is a competition rules set out there of what I'd call "knock out point fighting"

where its stop and go, like Shotokan point fighting, but you can win via KO? If anyone remembers my older post about "full contact Shotokan", I'm starting to think that this would be the best way to do it, as it keeps with the "one shot, one kill" philosophy of Shotokan.

Per Aspera Ad Astra

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

This sort of looks like what you're describing.

To search for the old is to understand the new.

The old, the new, this is a matter of time.

In all things man must have a clear mind.

The Way: Who will pass it on straight and well?

- Master Funakoshi

I could be wrong, since I don't do it, but I believe it functions basically the same way as regular point fighting, but full contact is allowed and a KO is an automatic victory.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

There is in Japan, Mumonkai Karate by Tagashi Yoshimoto.

I have never heard of this style! And this is almost exactly what i'm thinking, except i'd prefer no equipment other than a mouth piece and cup. I'd also have sweeps like in shotokan and add leg kicks, though leg kicks would not score any points. Do you know anything about this style other than the rules?

Per Aspera Ad Astra

I think the closest you will find to what you are looking for is the Combudo series of tournaments.

They are basically kyokushin karate but with grappling and throwing involved too. They tend to be fought by a good mixture of jiu Jitsu guys, MMA fighters (but with a trad background as gi must be worn) and various karate stylists.

I have a few students interested from my shotokan dojos and they should be competing this year.

Most of what was in the videos posted above is what I would refer to as Kudo or daido juko. The head guards used are usually referred to as kudo head guards.

For more info look up lee hasdell and ssj dojo in Milton Keynes if you are UK based or I think there may be a group of dojos under the shin atemi banner. A bit of googling will bring something up I'm sure

There is in Japan, Mumonkai Karate by Tagashi Yoshimoto.

I have never heard of this style! And this is almost exactly what i'm thinking, except i'd prefer no equipment other than a mouth piece and cup. I'd also have sweeps like in shotokan and add leg kicks, though leg kicks would not score any points. Do you know anything about this style other than the rules?

If you go with just a mouthpiece, you'll be looking at suffering multiple concussions, and then not competing for several months after the event.