• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A sensei's personality and attitude

I'm going to try and word this properly...If a Sensei says to a student in conversation about karate class. "If you leave this class I don't want you to go back to do nothing." Does that mean he wants me to leave the class? Was he dropping a hint?

Sounds to me like he's worried about you quitting more than anything else (possibly he recognizes that you've been frustrated with your progress lately). Seems to me he sees positive changes in you from the training and is legitimately worried that you'll quit and go back to doing "nothing" with your free time, as too many adults do, and not continuing to better yourself through martial arts or another means. Sounds like he cares about you and your well being and personal growth.

This was my impression, as well. I think he was hinting that if you left, he wanted you to at least be doing some Martial Arts.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going by the only information given , it is obvious that the instructor values the student and has good reasons to be concerned. An instructor who only sees students as a source of income would try everything to motivate them to stay and keep paying.

One who truly cares about a student's skill progress would be more concerned about the student's losing heart to learn and giving up after so much effort. For an instructor there is nothing more satisfying than knowing that a student is still training and progressing after parting ways. There is no better proof that teaching was not wasted effort, no better token of thanks.

The average person who takes up martial arts quit. Quitting is the norm but quitters are soon forgot, soon replaced and never remembered. Instructors know this well which is why they are twice happy and proud when the see one or two out of ten who are still there to show that alll the effort to pass on hard earned skills will not have been in vain.