• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A sensei's personality and attitude

Okinawan shorin ryu has been my chosen martial art since I was a youth but my interest in the subject has led me to try and visit many different places where other systems were taught. I have done this for comparison and personal research and in doing this I have met many kinds of instructors with different attitudes and personalities.

In my experience, the instructors attitude and personality is the most important trait because it is what new students notice first when they step into the dojo. It is also of capital significance to effectively teach. It is much easier and agreeable to learn from an instructor who welcomes you in a friendly manner and teaches patiently and tirelessly. Hardly anyone can suffer trying to learn from an instructor who is unapproachable, gruff or and unsociable.

Only the worst and the best stuck in my mind as which model I will one day hope to emulate. The best example is my present sensei who is the toughest I have ever met. Despite his fearsome skills and strength, and strict teaching style he is always in a friendly and pleasant mood. He never has to shout or order anyone about. He is always approachable to explain anything or demonstrate for any of us. Off the floor he enjoys relaxing with students and shows true concern for each student's progress, growth and general well being. To many of us younger students he is like a wise grandfather figure.

In stark contrast to this, the very worst I can still remember is a Japanese JKA Shotokan instructor. This man was the instructor at a small city dojo I visited many years ago. He was certainly very skilled at what he did as he was in the top 10-20 instructors in the country. A retired undefeated champion in his weight class. Despite this he treated his students very roughly and hardly said a word to them except when he barked or shouted orders at them. Students were absolutely terrified to approach him for anything at alll! He even shouted at me for breaking some protocol detail I had no way of knowing as both a guest quietly observing and a foreigner. Needless to say I did not stand this treatment very long. I left as soon as I could.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know a 5th Dan master who claims that none of his students will surpass him. He demands respect but does not give it. When you meet a real master, you will know. They are the most humble people, they do nothing but give. There is humour, and their achievement comes from your happiness. They learn from you and even the most innocent of their class always teach them something. "He's not a martial artist! He's not a fighter! He's too soft!" Maybe, but give him something or someone to love and you better not stand in his way.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

Solid OP!!

Attitudes and personalities make and break a dojo; hence, not all black belts can, or should teach, especially if their's are negative!! After all, a negative attitude and personality aren't condusive to a healthy learning environment!! And if a student remains, their own attitude and personality become alike to their instructor's; they've no positive examples to compare to, therefore, they only know what they've been exposed to!! That still doesn't excuse them!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

In stark contrast to this, the very worst I can still remember is a Japanese JKA Shotokan instructor. This man was the instructor at a small city dojo I visited many years ago. He was certainly very skilled at what he did as he was in the top 10-20 instructors in the country. A retired undefeated champion in his weight class. Despite this he treated his students very roughly and hardly said a word to them except when he barked or shouted orders at them. Students were absolutely terrified to approach him for anything at alll! He even shouted at me for breaking some protocol detail I had no way of knowing as both a guest quietly observing and a foreigner. Needless to say I did not stand this treatment very long. I left as soon as I could.

There are fundamentally two ways to motivate people: one is with a carrot, and the other is with a stick. Guys like this are in business unfortunately because some people in fact prefer the stick.

To quote the great Bob Marley: "LOVE IS MY RELIGION"

I believe it is "the carrot AND the stick" rather than "the carrot OR the stick". There is a slight difference and instructors who know how to manage both are usually more successful in transmitting skills to their students. All stick or all carrot is no good because there is no balance.

Yes of course but unfortunately there are folks that predominately prefer one over the other. I've seen guys like the one you described in business and am shocked that there are in fact students who are drawn to that approach. I'm not saying it's ideal nor a model to be followed.

To quote the great Bob Marley: "LOVE IS MY RELIGION"

I believe it is "the carrot AND the stick" rather than "the carrot OR the stick". There is a slight difference and instructors who know how to manage both are usually more successful in transmitting skills to their students. All stick or all carrot is no good because there is no balance.

I like this and can relate to it, I used to know a self appointed 5th Dan who was more "stick" and would drive/push their students but had trouble keeping senior grades.

I tend to think you need to use the stick (gently) earlier on in their training and at some point in time the students should be pushing themselves, if they can't train unless Sensei is behind them shouting then they will always need pushing and never know how to become a self motivated student.

One other Dojo I went to was mostly Black belts but when Sensei didn't turn up they were lost as to what to do, I would hope that good students would just get on and train together.

Another was more interested in showing off his Japanese than teaching so you spent most of the lesson trying to figure out what they were saying.

Some of my students have been to others nearby and been seriously hurt as the "sensei" showed off how powerful they were.

You will know the good ones as the students will be inspired and passionate instead of little Sensei clones.

hmm ... we talking 'mind set' again ...

As a traditionalist a true sense of honour, a humble de-meaner and a real understanding of humility is paramount to any instructor!

Control nuts/freaks/??? are just that, control nuts! ... they will not allow you to grow beyond them, its there nature and so will not offer more to you to best them, and that defeats the point of the teacher student relationship!

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

Control freaks would be on the more extreme side of the spectrum of negative personality instructors. These types are common in the martial arts but the other type often encountered is somewhat more difficult to deal with. Instructors who have nearly no interpersonal skills and by their unfriendly demenor make themselves unapproachable to students. It is desirable and beneficial for an instructor to train students strictly because it is necessary. However, after training or before training it is most beneficial for anyone to be able to get feedback and additional advice from their instructor.

I hope I will be forgiven for referring to movies but I believe that is where I can find the best pop culture references. Namely the "Karate Kid" series. The Kobra Kai sensei is an ex-military man whose teaching style is very militaristic and harsh. His students are just like him and they fear him so much they are afraid to even ask a question. They just do you whatever he says. Mr Miyagi is also strict in the way he teaches, but he shows a real sense of humour and is also very pleasant company. Throughout the trilogy it becomes obvious which teacher truly cares for the skill progress and wellbeing of his student. That is the best kind of instructor one can hope for in my opinion. After all, the true mark of a great instructor is the number of great students and successors trained.