• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A couple karate drills I came up with

Wastelander

I just thought I would share these, in case anyone else might find them useful. The first is a combination kote kitae (forearm forging) and hikite (pulling hand) drill that helps develop the use of hikite as a response to forearm contact. The drill is in three parts--shuto vs. shuto, haito vs. haito, and shuto vs. haito. Of course, these are just used for the purposes of the drill, and you can mix them up or use different movements as you see fit.

The second is a tuidi-based hojo undo (supplementary training) exercise that I have been playing with for a little while, now. I started doing it with a broom handle, and then a jo, and then a bo, and now I use the rubber-coated 5lb iron bar you see in the video. It helps develop fine motor control, tactile sensitivity, and muchimi (stickiness/heaviness). I took the movements from the Naihanchi kata, but it also works for Sanchin.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I like both of these, thank you for sharing them. I can see where the rod drill you are doing would really work you. I like the various blocks you used on the hikite drill, too.

First of all, I'll tell you that grasping a limb can pull your opponent into a technique or it can be used to control him, similar to the Wing Chun Pak Sau. But what you will find is that you may deprive your attacker of one of his weapons; but you use one of yours to do it. In other words, I have your limb but you also have mine. The second clip leaves me a little confused, I am guessing that what you are looking for is to increase sensitivity for your limb to limb contact or as the Wing Chun stylists call it, the sticking hand. We do this in Aikido, it's very relaxed, you stick to your opponent, the touch is heavy but very light. I know it sounds daft, but that is how it feels. It happens in Ikkyo, you put no pressure on your opponent's limb at all; all there is is the weight of your hands with the movement of your hips, no strength is used, you are hardly touching him. You don't even grasp him, here is an example of Ikkyo;

Look to the far mountain and see all.

Limb control is a major component to our method of Shorin-Ryu, but of course it is also present in a wide array of other styles. We also call it "sticking hands" in some cases--the Okinawan term for it being "muchimidi." Interestingly, "looks like Wing Chun" is an inside joke among a karate study group I am a part of :P. You do tie up one of your hands to control your opponent's hand, but the idea is to do so in a way that puts you in a superior position, or interrupts your opponent's technique in order for you to execute your own.

The second video makes more sense if you are familiar with our approach to tuidi-waza (seizing hand techniques). You aren't too far off the mark with your comparison to Ikkyo, though. The exercise was based off a tuidi-waza that is somewhat similar to Ikkyo :).

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Your first clashing forearms video reminds me of some drills we're doing currently. I am a Nidan in Shorin Ryu, but I've been supplementing my training with Kyusho Jitsu and Hapkido. We do a lot of those types of drills. And from those drills, we do applications using Kyusho points incorporated into the Shorin Ryu techniques (and ending with Hapkido locks!). For example, we call the first clash drill the "hook block". During that block, you're striking a vital point on the wrist. From there, you "circle" the block and turn it into an armbar. During the armbar, you're putting pressure on a vital point between the elbow and tricep. It is paralyzing!

So in that drill, you're actually drilling a lot of stuff! Great videos! Keep 'em coming!

Seek Perfection of Character

Be Faithful

Endeavor

Respect others

Refrain from violent behavior.

I like both of these, thank you for sharing them. I can see where the rod drill you are doing would really work you. I like the various blocks you used on the hikite drill, too.

I wholeheartedly agree!!

More importantly, if the drills you created increase your MA betterment, that's all that really matters.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 2 weeks later...
First of all, I'll tell you that grasping a limb can pull your opponent into a technique or it can be used to control him, similar to the Wing Chun Pak Sau. But what you will find is that you may deprive your attacker of one of his weapons; but you use one of yours to do it. In other words, I have your limb but you also have mine. The second clip leaves me a little confused, I am guessing that what you are looking for is to increase sensitivity for your limb to limb contact or as the Wing Chun stylists call it, the sticking hand. We do this in Aikido, it's very relaxed, you stick to your opponent, the touch is heavy but very light. I know it sounds daft, but that is how it feels. It happens in Ikkyo, you put no pressure on your opponent's limb at all; all there is is the weight of your hands with the movement of your hips, no strength is used, you are hardly touching him. You don't even grasp him, here is an example of Ikkyo;

So very smooth. Thanks for that.