• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being new to karate I... umm... only know two katas at this stage :(

I'll get back to you in a couple of years when I know enough to call one my favourite.

:karate:

Being a new student, which by itself is cool, which of the two is your favorite??

:)

Thanks very much however I'm not sure that my answer at this stage is going to be any help as the names of the two katas I know are... wait for it... Budo Ryu Kempo Kata Number One and... you guessed it... Budo Ryu Kempo Kata Number Two.

I'll ask my Sensei where they are derived from when the dojo starts up again after the break for the holidays but from what I perceive at the moment, the style I'm training seems to be derived from Okinawan karate (as the Kancho trained in Japan) and from what I understand the Kyoshi's background is (American?) Kempo Karate which, again from my rudimentary knowledge, also appears to have Okinawan roots from the Japanese influence in Hawaii.

My Sensei is originally from a Kyokushin background but has been very diverse and holds various black belts in seven different disciplines and as he was taught in Japanese, that's the language he mostly uses in my training, whereas the style Budo Ryu Kempo is mostly taught in English in the other dojos but I have to say I like and appreciate being taught in both Japanese and English and although it will take me ages to learn, I view it as an integral part of the journey, so I will be very interested to ask my Sensei, "Which traditional katas do Budo Ryu No. 1 and No.2 most resemble?"

The dojo opens again next week, so I should have an answer soon for you - thanks for the question, it helps expand my knowledge and now I'll no doubt be asking that question for all the katas in future :)

"You must first have the knowledge of your power, second, the courage to dare, third, the faith to do."

Charles Haneel, Master Key System, 1912.

Cool!

please do OleOle, it would be nice to see how you grow and what you see in kata and so on!

For me its "Tsuki no" kata.

Its described to mean :

"... its very name is a punching kata (there is only one kick and just a few blocks in the entire kata). The word Tsuki can also mean fortune and luck. Good fortune and luck does not come by waiting. For every punch in this kata, envision that a personal barrier is being broken down. Strong, persistent effort directed at problems will bring good fortune."

its the inner fight concept that appeals to me!

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

• 2 weeks later...

Good question, not silly.

Naihanchi without doubt is the core Kata for us where all the principals are encoded and exemplified. It is in 3 parts with the first part being most widely practised across various systems and styles. Obviously it contains its own fighting system and kihon drills to perfect agility, speed, power, movement and also develop a decent karate body with a nod towards bunkai, from which can be derived a full kumite system, including blocks, strikes, chokes, kicks, evasion, locks, take-downs and throws. It emphasises natural power and breathing and is saturated with the signature hip rotation/shaking (kohsi waza).

Shorin Ryu Naihanchi is the older precursor to Tekki in Shotokan Karate and was also developed into Po Eun in ITF Taekwondo. This kata is equivalent of Sanchin in other systems where a scientific testing and conditioning procedure exists to optimize a practitioners mind and body.

My syllabus contains only two kata up to the level of Shodan - Naihanchi and Seisan.

Both teach fundamental strategies and principles , I have been studying Naihanchi in depth for close to eight years up to today so that would be my choice. I practice other kata and it's Oyho and teach seminars on other kata but Naihanchi is a different animal !

When studied at depth , and because Naihanchi doesn't have "Bunkai" in the popular sense then the strategies and principal based responses become intuitive, which for me makes the forms depth endless.

All the best

Mark

Hi Kusotare, thanks for asking.

If I had a pound for every time I've answered that question! :-)

Short answer - I have no style, I practice karate. In the old days there were no "styles", they came later, it was Te or Di.

My Naihanchi is fairly standard Okinawan in practice.

My Seisan is similar to Wado Seishan, however I have changed the Ippon Ken sequence to open hands more reminiscent of Naha Te. I changed the Maegeri which follows Soto Uke - double Tsuki to Sokuto Geri. The final sequence of my kata is Mikazukigeri - Ottoshi Tettsui - Mawashi Uke rather than Gyakuzuki - double Ottoshi Taisho

I'm not bound by association or politics. I train with my small group of students and everything is based on functionality, which I find serves us well.

Hi Mark,

Apologies if the question has become tiresome.

I'm aware of the history of Karate - and it's naming as such, but presumably you started your training in a "modern" karate style?

I ask this because I have seen your situation a lot recently (particularly in the UK) and I have a theory behind it.

By all means PM me if there are details you would rather not share.

K.

Usque ad mortem bibendum!