• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

If you only had one kata?

hansenator

Passai Sho.

There was a tough decision between that and Chinto but in the end I think that I would do better with Passai.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably naihanchi but I can't make up my mind as to which of the three. This series of three very short kata is often emphasized as the core of Shorin ryu styles. Each one is deceptively short and simple but mastering all the priciples and techniques requires an in depth study that can easily take years. None of the other kata can be fully understood without them.

Probably naihanchi but I can't make up my mind as to which of the three. This series of three very short kata is often emphasized as the core of Shorin ryu styles. Each one is deceptively short and simple but mastering all the priciples and techniques requires an in depth study that can easily take years. None of the other kata can be fully understood without them.

Solid post!!

I share in your wondering in which of the three Naifanchi kata's to choose from because each have something to whet the appetite! Would be an easy choice if the Naifanchi was still one kata, and not as it's practiced today.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Well, modern karateka may never know how or where the three naihanchi fit together or whether they are just a collection of chosen techniques from an older "extinct" form. However they can be practised as a single kata by joining the three together where each stops, flowing into the next. I do it that way but it remains awkward because the transitions have been lost to time. It just ends up like a chain instead of looking like a single kata. Either way I believe naihanchi is the essence of Okinawan shorin ryu and each has valuable content.

Unfortunately, there is no evidence that I've seen--except one Westerner's unattributed claim in his book, and other books quoting it--to support the idea that the three modern Naihanchi kata were ever part of a single, longer kata. Many people do run all three together, though, to save time with the yoi positions and bowing. If I could count all three as one for this thread, I totally would! As it stands, though, what we know of as Naihanchi Shodan seems to be the direct descendent of an older Naihanchi kata, while Nidan was probably created by Matsumura, and Sandan was created by Itosu, although it's possible that Itosu created both sequels.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Being new to karate I... umm... only know two katas at this stage :(

I'll get back to you in a couple of years when I know enough to call one my favourite.

:karate:

"You must first have the knowledge of your power, second, the courage to dare, third, the faith to do."

Charles Haneel, Master Key System, 1912.

Being new to karate I... umm... only know two katas at this stage :(

I'll get back to you in a couple of years when I know enough to call one my favourite.

:karate:

Being a new student, which by itself is cool, which of the two is your favorite??

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!