• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

(SPOILER WARNING) Machida vs. Dollaway

Did anybody out there catch Saturday night's UFC?

Personally, I did not. This morning however, I did manage to find it online.

Anyways, for those who have seen the main event of Machida vs. Dollaway, what are your thoughts and opinions?

Looking at the final stats of the fight it has (after about 1 minute) Machida down as having thrown 19 strikes and landing 12, Dollaway throwing 2 strikes, and landing 0. (he did land an inside leg kick in there however)

My first reaction was when Dollaway threw an insane, beautiful head level round kick that Machida blocked and seemed eerily unfazed by.

Machida then proceeded to demonstrate how to land a round kick, planting it neatly inside what looked to be Dollaway's ribs, but considering Machida's prowess, was most likely directed into the solar plexus.

The fight was over in all but a minute.

My final thought was "Wow. Textbook karate."

To search for the old is to understand the new.

The old, the new, this is a matter of time.

In all things man must have a clear mind.

The Way: Who will pass it on straight and well?

- Master Funakoshi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It was a perfectly timed and placed kick. It's one of those kicks that causes arguments over what it's called, too. I know some people are calling it a mae-geri (front kick) while others are calling it mawashi-geri (roundhouse kick). Some are calling it sankaku-geri (triangle kick) because of the way he threw it. No matter what you call it, it was excellent!

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

It was a perfectly timed and placed kick. It's one of those kicks that causes arguments over what it's called, too. I know some people are calling it a mae-geri (front kick) while others are calling it mawashi-geri (roundhouse kick). Some are calling it sankaku-geri (triangle kick) because of the way he threw it. No matter what you call it, it was excellent!

I watched the fight, and that is why he is my favorite fighter! Those angles and counters are phenomenal!

The kick- it's what I call a karate roundhouse kick. Sort of at an upward angle focusing on speed rather than maximum force (contrast to a Muay Thai kick). I remember the sound when it landed. Nasty!!

Seek Perfection of Character

Be Faithful

Endeavor

Respect others

Refrain from violent behavior.

I also prefer that type of roundhouse kick because I have poor flexibility. So the angle of most of my roundhouse kicks are exactly like that because for me to kick at a high level, my hips won't be "turned over" as they would on a muay thai roundhouse. They're always travelling the direction of my knee which is at an upward angle (unless they're aimed at a thigh or ribs.)

Seek Perfection of Character

Be Faithful

Endeavor

Respect others

Refrain from violent behavior.