• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What style?

To what branch of martial arts do you belong?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. To what branch of martial arts do you belong?

• Korean (TSD/TKD)
    • Japanese (Karate)
    • Kung Fu
    • American Frestyle
    • BJJ

• 1 month later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't vote, as there was no option for Okinawan karate. And no, Okinawan karate is NOT the same (not even close IMO) as Japanese karate.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

Shorin Ryu and Shotokan

Okinawan and Japanese respectively.

I'm having a much harder time picking up the intricacies of Shorin Ryu. If I can learn a quarter of what my Sensei knows I would be happy. I just have to keep on plugging away at it and he's a great teacher, Rome wasn't built in a day so I have to allow the system to function as designed.

WildBourgMan

Shorin Ryu and Shotokan

Okinawan and Japanese respectively.

I'm having a much harder time picking up the intricacies of Shorin Ryu. If I can learn a quarter of what my Sensei knows I would be happy. I just have to keep on plugging away at it and he's a great teacher, Rome wasn't built in a day so I have to allow the system to function as designed.

There are HUGE differences between shotokan and Shorin Ryu from the very basic stances, blocks and entire philosophy of how to do things. I've never practiced shotokan personally, but I've worked with their classes numerous times and watched their classes many more times. My best suggestion is to go into Shorin Ryu with an open mind and leave your shotokan at the door...lol.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.