• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What style?

To what branch of martial arts do you belong?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. To what branch of martial arts do you belong?

• Korean (TSD/TKD)
    • Japanese (Karate)
    • Kung Fu
    • American Frestyle
    • BJJ

Just curious as to the different branches of the arts we have here.

The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had to vote BJJ due to the heavy (like real heavy) focus that I have in it now, and have had for the better part of a decade. The last year has seen a radical upswing in the amount of FMA training I've been doing, but it's certainly not primarily what I do.

Prior to that, I had spent 20 year in mainly an American karate system with Okinawan roots.

I voted karate here because at the heart of all that I do Shorin Ryu still guides me more or less. However, I like to think that I belong more to Martial Arts itself (metaphorically speaking). I think that I identify most with the path of a Martial Artist who is dedicated to bringing some form of virtue into the world, whether that virtue be the Spartan translation of might and martial discipline or the philosophical translation of Aristotle and Kant (i.e. what we generally mean by virtue in modern times).

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

There are a lot of MA's not included in any of those categories. FMA, HEMA, various wrestling styles, the various forms of indochinese kickboxing, savate, Indonesian Martial arts, Vovinam, pletny more

Is the limit on poll options 5? Maybe an 'other'option would have been a better inclusion than just BJJ or just american freestyle.

Anyway, I voted BJJ, as of the arts I do that is the one I am best at.

There are a lot of MA's not included in any of those categories. FMA, HEMA, various wrestling styles, the various forms of indochinese kickboxing, savate, Indonesian Martial arts, Vovinam, pletny more

Is the limit on poll options 5? Maybe an 'other'option would have been a better inclusion than just BJJ or just american freestyle.

Anyway, I voted BJJ, as of the arts I do that is the one I am best at.

Quite true, there ought to be more options to make a more accurate poll of the types of martial arts enjoyed by the members of this board. Martial arts is a very broad topic and even if one limits the discussion to systems of empty-handed defense/fighting, there are several examples originating from every corner of the world.

I'm in the same category as Tallgeese. My academy is a BJJ Academy. But I also have over 20 years in Shotokan and Aiki Jujitsu.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."