• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

This Is The Year...

Please complete the following sentence:

This is the year...

MA concerning, that is!! What mostly stands out in your mind? If it's only one thing or more, please let us know so that we can celebrate or laugh or cry or throw-a-fit or agree/disagree with you!!

This is the year that...

*I finally hung up my Kudan certificate!

*I finally wore my Kudan obi more on an everyday occurrence!

[These two hadn't happened until October 2014. I earned them both in July 2013]

*I came much closer to completing my MA memoirs; Empty Chairs!

These are just some of the things that stand out for me!!

I look forward in hearing what happened to/for you this year!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

This is the year that I went it alone and started my own club. This doesn't mean I will make my own style or create a new syllabus but purely means that I will control the admin and running myself.

I am maintaining close links with some decent clubs nearby where I will continue my training and ensure my skills, syllabus and techniques stay relevant and fresh.

I spent a few years trying to push my old club's standards up and putting up with the CI's poor technique and general lack of knowledge - but reluctance to seek out more.

It came to a head during the April grading where we passed people who had literally just started or were of a very poor standard. I had stopped some of my students from grading as I didn't think they were ready...

After resigning and taking 20+ students and 2 training nights I have started a 3rd session in Warminster and now have over 30 students, several students who trained at multiple locations were told lies about me and stopped training with me, I'm happy now that if they weren't able to trust me then I'm glad they have gone, others are happy to train anywhere and ignored the lies.

The old club has now graded 2 up to Shodan - 1 has only been training for 2 years! They continue to try and boast excellence but end up posting dodgy videos. They have a lack of senior grades as like me they leave.

I'm hoping my current lot will prosper and stick with me long after black belt.

- This is the year I was invited to selections for the US team in women's individual kata.

- This is the year I missed my chance to be on the US team in women's individual kata.

- This is the year I trained kata harder than I ever have before.

- This is the year I regrew my motivation.

- This is the year I watched my friends compete in Japan, so proud and happy for them and all that they have done.

"My work itself is my best signature."

-Kawai Kanjiro

This is the year I represented my dojo in regional competition for the first time in a decade.

This is the year I was a role model for children and adults.

This is the year I looked up to both adults and children alike.

This is the year that anger and frustration were never present.

To search for the old is to understand the new.

The old, the new, this is a matter of time.

In all things man must have a clear mind.

The Way: Who will pass it on straight and well?

- Master Funakoshi

This is the year that I went it alone and started my own club.

Pretty cool. How are you liking it so far? What presents the greatest challenge?

This is the year that I tested for 4th Dan.

• 2 weeks later...

This year I got My Blue belt on November 14 of this year at Flores Bros kenpo karate Studio

This year I joined swat team in my karate class from June of this year up to know

This year I got my 2nd Place Trophy doing kata at the Karate Tournament in Fillmore of this year

This year I got my 14 months perfect attendance in my Karate school

I love Shotokan Karate Do and American Kenpo Karate

This is the year I trained with my children on the same floor.

They are now old enough to train formally and as a result an entirely new chapter of my martial arts journey is unfolding. It's a beautiful thing.

I like this OP! Thanks Sensie8! :karate:

To quote the great Bob Marley: "LOVE IS MY RELIGION"