• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bunkai and Tuite

NewLevel

Dojo where bunkai is taught together with kata are unfortunately not the norm because there are more instructors who lack the knowledge to teach it than those who do. In most cases if bunkai is taught at all it is treated as "advanced knowledge" reserved for dan grades and even then it is not trained regularly. Very little if anything at all can be learned from a brief session, seminar or camp once in a while. Practising and drilling each part of each kata ought to be done every day of training.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry Bushidoman, I stand by every word of that post. I might be from an old tradition, it may be a culture clash but; if your style teaches no application of technique then by simple definition; IT IS NOT A MARTIAL ART.

I didn't say we didn't learn any technique application. We just don't always learn it from the forms. And not all Martial Arts utilize forms as a training tool, but they still do technique applications. I'm guessing you don't do any kata in Aikido, but its rife with technique application. I don't think I stated anything about not teaching any technique application. I just stated that not all styles teach it with forms.

Now, if you are referencing something like Tae Bo, then I agree; its not a Martial Art.

You are right, our Aikido has no Kata or Kihon. What it has is principals that you apply to contact with another person or multiple opponents. Our Sensei tells us not to look for any technique; until it happens it is not there. Karatedo is the art of application, but in a different way. The way you interpret kata is where the art lies. One style or tradition can vary greatly in its Bunkai while another does exactly the same kata. It's not just focus and pace, it's the visualisation. If you don't visualise a response to attacks in kata, what are you doing more than performing meaningless movements? This is what happens when children are taught advanced kata; they are not aware of what they are doing. This results in children attaining black belts in performing martial art like exercises, I know it sounds harsh, but that is what they are.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

Most forms are done with visualization in mind; that is why most techniques have a specific target. Even if you are taking the most basic block/punch/kick applications into account, or visualizing the strikes as attacks to certain areas, then that is still application. Simple, perhaps, but still application.

From there, our students move into applying basic technique in the form of one-steps, which helps to visualize applications further.

We do that as well, you take sections of the kata and practice them. There is nothing better for a Sensei than to see a student execute a combination from a kata in free sparing, it shows understanding at the next level. That is what I believe kata is intended to do.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

Kata or forms are like the textbooks of martial arts. The moves they contain are like formulas and bunkai is like drills or problems. One supplements and reinforces the other. Each move is a memory tool to use for visualizing the techniques but visualizing alone is not enough.

In order to practise kata efficiently it is vital to understand and feel how each technique is used in action. Knowing what one should be visualizing when practising a form is an essential step towards the development of practical skills. This can only be done by training applications and forms together.

Kata or forms are like the textbooks of martial arts. The moves they contain are like formulas and bunkai is like drills or problems. One supplements and reinforces the other. Each move is a memory tool to use for visualizing the techniques but visualizing alone is not enough.

In order to practise kata efficiently it is vital to understand and feel how each technique is used in action. Knowing what one should be visualizing when practising a form is an essential step towards the development of practical skills. This can only be done by training applications and forms together.

Solid post!!

May the textbook continued to be amended through our discoveries!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Here is another analogy I once heard from a well known but very modest sensei in Okinawa:

"Einstein was a brilliant scientist who stated E=mc'2. That formula is so famous that even grade school children know it and can repeat it. However, how many ordinary people know exactly what it means and how to apply it in a practical way to a specific task? Kata is the same in that performing all the moves is easy and quickly memorized. Understanding how to use each part and being able to do so spontaneously takes much effort, practise and training"

Too many karateka are just reading the textbook over and over and over again memorizing all the formulas by heart without ever doing a single page of applied practise.

Here is another analogy I once heard from a well known but very modest sensei in Okinawa:

"Einstein was a brilliant scientist who stated E=mc'2. That formula is so famous that even grade school children know it and can repeat it. However, how many ordinary people know exactly what it means and how to apply it in a practical way to a specific task? Kata is the same in that performing all the moves is easy and quickly memorized. Understanding how to use each part and being able to do so spontaneously takes much effort, practise and training"

Too many karateka are just reading the textbook over and over and over again memorizing all the formulas by heart without ever doing a single page of applied practise.

This is a good analogy.

This is a good analogy.

Solid, both!!

Dare I say it? Proof is on the floor!! There, I said it.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!