• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Can the average person earn a black belt?

Harkon72

I don't know what it is like in your part of the world, but here you have to be aware of the bottom line. There are clubs who run a pyramid system. There are others who are run as satellite clubs from the other side of the world. I am lucky to have a Sensei who believes that to earn a living from a spiritual path takes you away from where you started, he is a special but sadly rare individual. People wont come to us at times as they believe that expense equates to quality. But as Dave says, the true seekers of Budo will find their way to your door. Many instructors see students as cash cows, what they do is lose the thread of their art. I know of a genuine Goju Ryu teacher in Birmingham who changed his style to teach utter rubbish he called MMA, when it was nothing of the sort, it was just fashionable; kids played it on their consoles and saw themselves in the octagon. He made a lot of cash, but what will happen when the trend changes again? My advice is stick to what you know, do it, do it well and students will find you.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what it is like in your part of the world, but here you have to be aware of the bottom line. There are clubs who run a pyramid system.

I am aware that most schools have to cover some costs to stay open, and some out there probably like to make a bit of a profit at it if they can. I don't have any issues with that.

I am lucky to have a Sensei who believes that to earn a living from a spiritual path takes you away from where you started, he is a special but sadly rare individual. People wont come to us at times as they believe that expense equates to quality.

Some people, you can't change their minds. So there isn't much point in trying. You end up just beating your head against a wall. Personally, if I was looking to change clubs, I would check out the cheaper ones first, as I have a limited income to work with. I'd also make sure that they weren't cheap on the floor, though.

I know of a genuine Goju Ryu teacher in Birmingham who changed his style to teach utter rubbish he called MMA, when it was nothing of the sort, it was just fashionable; kids played it on their consoles and saw themselves in the octagon. He made a lot of cash, but what will happen when the trend changes again? My advice is stick to what you know, do it, do it well and students will find you.

That's too bad. I don't have a problem with changing tact and growing or adding something to what you already do. Changing with the times and evolving is one way to do things, but its got to be done the right way. But if you drop your quality to do it, then that's a bad trade-off.