• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hey all, our weekly recap of material is up:

This week is all about the X Guard. Our recap is a bit longer and focuses on not just a particular tactic from the X Guard but also details about proper positioning and drilling to improve those. Then we end with a brief technical overview of getting there and sweeping from there.

As always, healthy debate is welcome! Is X Guard, something you play, or something you haven't looked at previously?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Another great tutorial, Alex!!

I find quite a lot of comfort with the X-guard because there are opportunities abound to transition into and out of, depending on what my opponent decides to follow.

At first, I had a problem with being this close to my opponent because I perceived that I was feeling vulnerable, yet, I felt this way when I was first learning any close range tactics; it can be unnerving. Time takes care of that!

To help counter that feeling of complete inadequacies, we help our students face the feelings of utter dismay by having them face it head on; getting dirty, so to speak, because students must experience it in order to learn to accept the X-guard and other things in the grappling world!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Great one, Alex. Thanks for sharing again you are so full of knowledge. I've dabbled with the x guard but nothing serious. I feel out of control in this position. I like that to show the switching from side to side. Maybe a drill I'll have to talk Shorikid into trying with me.

Very cool guard. I'm moving to Illinois tomorrow.

Does the pummel drill you do to transition from side to side ever show up in use, or is just mainly a drill to get the reps in and getting a feel for the move. I like all these different pummeling drills you show, and I think they hold lots of value for training the positions.

Thanks for sharing this!

Great one, Alex. Thanks for sharing again you are so full of knowledge. I've dabbled with the x guard but nothing serious. I feel out of control in this position. I like that to show the switching from side to side. Maybe a drill I'll have to talk Shorikid into trying with me.

Awesome! Let me know how the expeirment goes. The out of control feeling is common. Learning to flow within the position is key. As is the structure of the actual guard before progressing into tactics from there.

Very cool guard. I'm moving to Illinois tomorrow.

Does the pummel drill you do to transition from side to side ever show up in use, or is just mainly a drill to get the reps in and getting a feel for the move. I like all these different pummeling drills you show, and I think they hold lots of value for training the positions.

Thanks for sharing this!

Lol! thanks! As always, if you ever find yourself in the Chicago land area let me know. We'll make you welcome.

I like to pummel (or a varient of) from just about everywhere to train positional control. The underhook is just so important in most cases. The transition I demo here is mainly a drill for reps and learning position. That said, you're taking a lot of intangables away as well. Finidng foot position, moving your hips, core, ect. around his. Working the balance point from on your back, heck, FINDING the balance point. Feeling the control you can exert with a single hook. All of this gets work kind of under the radar during the drill. I have actually transition side to side, but it really is more of a drill. Once you start moving, you really start looking at sweeps and such. The movement leads pretty immediatly to a back take tactic though.

Cool, I wondered if that was the case or not. Like I said, I do like these pummeling drills, and I think they are great for learning the positions.