• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Parts of the journey coming to an end

Sorry for the long post….

In a few weeks I test for my Shodan. It’s been a fun and sometimes frustrating 4+ year journey. My only regret is waiting until I was 38 to start the journey. Looking back I can remember the first few months of classes. I was in such bad shape that my instructor would not allow me to work for more than half the class. I struggled with everything from pushups to horse stance drills. Now I’m stronger both mentally and physically, I have more flexibility, and better stamina. I haven’t lost much weight, but that may be genetics and too much beer! Sparring has been my favorite thing to do. I’m one of the older people in the class so I’ve had to go against teens and 20-30 year olds with much more speed, strength, and experience than I have. I’ve taken some hard shots, but have always gotten back up. More times than not I’ve been able to give back those hard shots. I have to do the 5 Heian katas, tekki shodan and nidan, empi, chinte, bassai dai, and seiuchin for my testing.

Also, my son tests for his Sandan. Yes, I know there is a lot of angst over kids getting Shodan and beyond. Often times I share that angst. He started in karate 10 years ago not even thinking of belts and that is still not his focus. He is in this to learn all that he can and eventually pass it on. He will be the youngest Sandan that his teacher has awarded at 14. We currently only have 2 active members at this rank or higher in our school. He will be number 3. We don’t do a jr blackbelt. He gets the rank, but still can’t teach on his own or do some things an adult would do. To put this in perspective, my son was born with a mild muscle disease that really impacts his flexibility and strength. He has worked his butt off to get to where he is. He is a very self-aware young man too. He asked to put off his Nidan testing because he wanted to be sharper (request granted). He asked to put off his Sandan testing too (request denied), because there is an adult student who he feels should get the rank before him. Due to work and life she has not been able to attend and test regularly though. I am proud to see the man he is growing into and martial arts is a big factor in that growth. He has to do sochin, nijushiho, jitte, kanku sho, and a fifth of the sensei’s choosing.

If we both pass, I get the privilege of graduating with my son. I can’t think of a better way to end the Shodan journey.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

First off, I want to thank you for your much needed post! I want to also wish you and your son a successful testing cycle; relax and allow the testing cycle take care of itself. If the two of you have trained hard all of these many years, than you two have nothing to worry about.

It's both an honor as well as an exciting event that your son and you will continue to share, not only for the moment, but for a lifetime; your journey isn't ending but it's only continuing!!

My feelings about child BB's obtaining rank is well known; I'm dead against it! That's my problem!! Therefore, I only want to support your son's testing cycle and to not rain on anyone's parade because of my very narrow opinion on the subject!!

Good luck to the two of you in your upcoming testing cycle, and continued happiness in both of yours journeys!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Picture Martial Arts as a hallway. At the end of this hallway is a door. As you progress towards Shodan, you get closer to the door until eventually you reach the door and, upon opening it, you reveal another hallway.

Shodan is only the beginning. Shodan shows that you are committed enough to stick through to the end and the reward is deeper knowledge.

I wish you luck on your test and I can't wait to see you on the other side of the door.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Picture Martial Arts as a hallway. At the end of this hallway is a door. As you progress towards Shodan, you get closer to the door until eventually you reach the door and, upon opening it, you reveal another hallway.

Shodan is only the beginning. Shodan shows that you are committed enough to stick through to the end and the reward is deeper knowledge.

I wish you luck on your test and I can't wait to see you on the other side of the door.

Solid post!!

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Solid post!!

Agreed- solid post

Nothing Worth Having Is Easily Obtained - ESPECIALLY RANK

Your Journey has only just begun so don't end it i would be happy if i was a shodan and ill keep going and going being a shodan is like a white belt but only black and do not give up there are some people who are 1st degree and old but they still keep on going and going I started karate at age 36 so maybe at age 40 im a 1st degree and i will still keep on going remember indomitable spirit is the key meaning never give up on what your doing you need to have that conquering spirit you can do it

I love Shotokan Karate Do and American Kenpo Karate

• 4 weeks later...

Good luck to you and your son. It sounds like you've done a great job with parenting, and you should both be proud. Others have summed up advancement (to any level) beautifully - it's just another stepping stone down the trail of martial arts and life.