• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Training Partners

About 2 weeks ago, I had one of the orange belts at the dojo I train at approach me. He asked me how often I train outside of class. I had to explain to him that, well, I really don't and I've always wished that I had space to train. He asked "what do you do on Saturdays?". Presently, I work in retail, meaning that Saturdays off are a very, very rare thing. Regardless of this, he gave me his phone number, told me that he is free every Saturday and that I'm welcome to come over and train. I was so very humbled by this and yet discouraged, because of work's leash.

That was until I went into work the next day and saw that after probably 3 months of working solid weekends, I was given the next 3 saturdays in a row off! Ah, inspiration! True fortune, I thought.

Next class we made a plan to train on saturday. He said we could train up to 4 hours if we wanted. (wound up training 2 and a half hours)

So we trained for 2 and a half hours, we did some kata and some bunkai, and some kumite. we bounced ideas off one another and it was a really great experience.

Anyways, the point of my post is not to brag. It is to encourage. I encourage those who practice the MA to find someone in their dojo who they connect with, and talk to them about training outside of class. Of course I don't mean to invite yourself to their house or anything like that. If appropriate, invite them to wherever you train outside the dojo. Or, ask them if they train outside the dojo at all. If so, let them know that if they're ever looking for a training partner, that you're game.

To search for the old is to understand the new.

The old, the new, this is a matter of time.

In all things man must have a clear mind.

The Way: Who will pass it on straight and well?

- Master Funakoshi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Training outside the dojo is essential but it can be difficult to manage, especially with irregular or very long working hours. I find that making a schedule helps in finding a suitable time to train. Right now I take an hour or more if I can manage it everyday when I return home from work. A couple years ago I worked late so I split my training in two. I would do a half hour before breakfast and another just before going to sleep. The key is to take any free time you can get outside work hours and do something everyday. It doesn't matter if all you have is 15 minutes as long as you practise something, anything EVERYday. That way when you go to the dojo your use of time will become a lot more efficient.

Great topic! Thank you for it! Great OP!

Many great points the far! I believe that it's important in increasing one MA betterment by training outside with fellow dojo mates whenever possible. Any type of training outside of the dojo should be encouraged by the CI.

One bit of advice...the key word is "training", and that means just that!! Exchange ideas and the like but don't teach; that's your CI's job!! While intents are innocent, one needs to be careful to not teach something that is incorrect, therefore, damaging the good muscle memory.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I used to have a training partner outside of class. We would spend two days a week, around an hour per session, and it was some of the best training ever. It is a great way to train, if you can manage it.

One bit of advice...the key word is "training", and that means just that!! Exchange ideas and the like but don't teach; that's your CI's job!! While intents are innocent, one needs to be careful to not teach something that is incorrect, therefore, damaging the good muscle memory.

This is a tid bit of tremendous wisdom. Training outside of the dojo is wonderful as long as it is properly done. Solid post !

:karate:

To quote the great Bob Marley: "LOVE IS MY RELIGION"

This is a tid bit of tremendous wisdom. Training outside of the dojo is wonderful as long as it is properly done. Solid post !

:karate:

I must completely agree- real training time is a gift. And there simply isn't enough time during class to train and learn.

Nothing Worth Having Is Easily Obtained - ESPECIALLY RANK

Thanks Archimoto and cheesefrysamurai!!

Training outside with a partner isn't meant to challenge what your CI is teaching you at that moment. Exploration that leads to discoveries is not to be smothered, but embraced wholeheartedly.

We're not bound by chains in our training!! We must be free to learn how to express ourselves through our techniques; Shu Ha Ri!!

Still, training isn't for teaching! By that I mean, training is practicing what one's been and/or being taught with a partner so that the kinks can be eliminated over time.

Training isn't teaching and vice versa!! Either one is training or one is teaching; they shouldn't be intertwined unless your training partner is your CI!!

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Thank you sincerely for this reminder! I would never do anything to jeopardize the progress of my peers or junior belts. Purposely that is. I will go on mindful of your advice sensei8.

To search for the old is to understand the new.

The old, the new, this is a matter of time.

In all things man must have a clear mind.

The Way: Who will pass it on straight and well?

- Master Funakoshi

If you approach training on your own time by yourself or with a group as an extension to dojo training it should not jeopardize anything. Focus on things you are comfortable with and that you can remember as accurately as possible. When you get to the next dojo day, make sure to consult your instructor to answer questions or help you with any details. Let him know what you are working on because it will be very useful to guide your private training.

If you approach training on your own time by yourself or with a group as an extension to dojo training it should not jeopardize anything. Focus on things you are comfortable with and that you can remember as accurately as possible. When you get to the next dojo day, make sure to consult your instructor to answer questions or help you with any details. Let him know what you are working on because it will be very useful to guide your private training.

Very good advise, along with sensei8's here:

Especially if you foment this kind of training relationship with someone your rank or close to it. There is nothing quite like forming a bond with a training partner that you see it through the black belt ranks with.

Also, if you have more than one MA school available in your area, don't discount the thought of cross-examining things with members of other schools that might have time to train outside of the school. Valuable lessons can be learned there, as well.