• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Yin Yang, what does it mean to you?

Red J

Everyone knows the universal symbol of the Yin Yang. Kind of simular to the "For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction" theory. I also realize that it has roots in Chinese philosopy. The philosophy is applied to the seasons, space, nature, nutrition, health, birth, death, wealth, farming, and MA.

For me personally it is a reminder to have balance in my life. I know this is kind of basic, but I will join in with more as this thread develops. What are your thoughts on this subject?

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is the principle of Duality as diamon said. Cant have light without dark, good without evil, winners and losers. It also reflects the circular motion of life, as with circular styles. I have seen interpretations that is shows that there is no choas, but the mixture of dark and light, that is observed as more dark or more light, depending on how you look at it.

Take Care.

Yin and Yang

Man< --->Woman

According to traditional Chinese philosophy, yin and yang are the two primal cosmic principles of the universe. Yin (Mandarin for moon) is the passive, female principle. Yang (Mandarin for sun) is the active, masculine principle.

Yin and Yang hows the perfect balance between opposites (man & woman), or the great forces of the universe. This portrays that there is no "real" masculine or feminine nature, but that each contains a part of the other. The two are contained in one circle showing that both powers are in one cycle. Instead of these two being held in antagonism, they are held together to show the that they are mutually interdependent partners. One cannot exist without the other. I tend to believe that they each lend their own special characteristics to create the power of balance within the martial arts!

http://www.karateforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=899&start=0

hi kensai can you explain that is if there is anything to explain? i always thought good and evil was just a concept humans have. in the big picture there isn't such a thing.

thanks..

It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, for the most essential things are invisible to the eye.

I can try.

You see hiya, all we have is preception and conception, there is nothing else, for the human mind cannot really comprehend without boundrys. An act of violence against another can be considered as bad Ki or minus Ki, so you are only taking from the Universe. The reverse being appliable, that if one does a good act, one is release ki into the universe, or plus Ki. (This is the way I understand it from the teachings of my Sensei and Soke K Tohei).

So how does this relate to the preciples of Yin and Yang. Without Evil/bad/wrong how can we ever learn what is good/right. However in a world without the other, you would spiral into Chaos. The act of killing another for instance, is taking from the Universal, therefore a wrong against the Universe. This is bad.

I would agree that in the bigger picture right and wrong are not "relatively" important. But the relationship of 2 oppsites does, man/woman, fire/water, metal/wood and good/evil, must be in constant balance.

Yin and Yang is a representation of the human heart, its what makes you a person. Everything is relative, even the souless sciencists would agree to that. In Aikido, we think of everything as relative, so a single cell to us is not important, we are a universe to a cell. On a Planetary level, a human is not going to effect the balance, and so on until a universal level in which a planet or a person and his or her acts are not important, but they all make up the Universal, they all make Yin and Yang. Therefore good and evil is relative, just because it is a human concept, it cannot be written off.

I think they may make some sence.

Take Care.