• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

TKD Forms; a running comparison

Again not a huge fan of the particular martial artist used as a comparison for Tang Soo Do, just never seen such a robotic and slowly executed Hyung. I don't mean disrespect to him, I just don't feel it's a good reflection of the art any sense of what is more common.

I thought it was interesting to point out that there are some great applications in TSD Hyung. Shotokan is pretty much the king of applications to forms bit as the forms are a bit different so will the applications be different. Of course as each version no matter the style, there will be different applications.

It is pretty neat to see the 3 as you posted so similar. The TSD history recognizes that their forms were taken from shotokan essentially, not sure about the TKD form but very much a TKD version of it. Good stuff.

Hustle and hard work are a substitute for talent!

• 5 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought this was an interesting one. Bassai is well known. The most well known version however is Bassai dai, Much less known is Bassai Dae as I practice it.

More common Shotokan version/Bassai dai performed by a guy better then me lol. Notice the rigid movements which are trademark in karate

Less common/Me performing Bassai Dae. Notice the more smooth fluid motions seen less in Karate, but more in Kung Fu, also much more emphasis on deep breathing excessive within the form

Note: due to my back problems the jump in the middle from a front stance is too painful as slamming my rear foot into the mat is too much, so I have adapted the more common quick step as seen in the first video. It's called adapting to age and injury technique haha.

By the way, if anybody has a tae kwon do form closely relates to this that would be awesome because it would help with with the threat is supposed to be for, I am aware that mine had very little to do with taekwondo in particular for this I apologize. I just do not know of one that fits

Thanks for sharing the videos Lex. Whilst there are a lot of similarities in technique, yours and the Shotokan version are executed very differently.

Some TKD schools do learn Bassai though I think they tend to prefer the name Passai instead.

I'm not sure about the WTF forms but there are a lot of elements similar to the Chang Hon form Yoo Sin. A couple of examples :

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

DWX I don't personally know of any WTF form that is similar. WTF forms are very different in the sense they are intentionaly modernized and have adapted very small stances. Instead of the traditional front stance you will see more walking stance which is exactly how it sounds.

Most Tang Soo Do schools do call is Passai as well. From my understanding it is the Korean translation of Bassai. The difference is in the second part to the name. Shotokan Says "Bassai Dai" and some older korean schools/organizations call it" Bassai Dae". If you, YouTube it with the DAE you will see the consistent relation to Tang Soo Do, but much harder to find then Passai.

I never really refer to it as Passai or even Bassai without the DAE because as the 2 of these forms it would not be very specific.

The Japanese varient is Bassai Sho, Korean is Bassai Soh. Again notice the small difference in the second part spelling. As I learned it, Bassai Dae is the "greater known" snake form, or "extract from a fortress, greater known version". Bassai Soh is "lesser known" snake form or "extract from a fortress, less known version". I'll post that one next. Let me know if you see any similarity in TKD forms from your perspective, it interests me. Thanks for posting the videos above. The first one I felt had more similarities to pyung ahn oh dan interestingly enough. Cool looking, less foot movement leading to distance traveled the most TSD forms but plenty of foot work.

I like the second video. It's actually pretty cool looking. The breathing like that I used to practice a ton of years ago in ITF but it would be very difficult I'd imagine for me to adapt now. The way I do forms now and have for a long time is with less emphasis on every strike, and staying low or the same height, no bounce up and down.

Collapsed looking form though, upon second peak I also see some Naihanchi as well.

Japanese version Bassai Sho why a guy again better than me.

Bassai Soh performed by me

https://youtu.be/wEdDi2kNGvM

I feel these have much more differences than the first version or most popular version. The pattern is still the same for the most part but techniques even more different. Taekwondo variation?

Japanese version Bassai Sho why a guy again better than me.

Bassai Soh performed by me

https://youtu.be/wEdDi2kNGvM

I feel these have much more differences than the first version or most popular version. The pattern is still the same for the most part but techniques even more different. Taekwondo variation?

I prefer your interpretation with Bassai Sho. I don't know much about the kata but it seems to me to fit well with the Chinese style flow. Very well done.

As for Taekwondo variation, I recognise individual movements but I couldn't say there was a form that is close really. Maybe bits of Sam Il?

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Thanks for the compliment. Tang Soo do has its roots in Shotokan and northern Kung-fu. I have always seen the more Chinese influence in the forms I do. Many versions of TSD perform a more rigid technique more like Shotokan, I have always preference the softer style I do as well. Originally my teachers came from MDK. I don't know where many other popular organizations get their lineage from to be honest but it's different.

Also, the style I perform has more hip movement to as which is from Soo Bahk Do, and although I never ranked in Soo Bahk Do specifically, there are certain things that are very specific to SBD that I do. I'm just describing it, I don't get into too much if the history because I just go buy what I see, clearly my style is a bit different though.

Going to check out the video when I get a second, got to run. I'll post a follow up in a bit.

• 3 months later...
Thanks for sharing the videos Lex. Whilst there are a lot of similarities in technique, yours and the Shotokan version are executed very differently.

Some TKD schools do learn Bassai though I think they tend to prefer the name Passai instead.

I'm not sure about the WTF forms but there are a lot of elements similar to the Chang Hon form Yoo Sin. A couple of examples :

Quite a bit of difference between the performance of these two.

• 1 month later...