TKD Forms; a running comparison

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I do know about the ATA 9th Dan form is that it's LONG...quite long, and it's a requirement when one becomes the GM of the ATA!! I've seen the 9th Dan form being performed at ATA World Championships through YouTube.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

What I do know about the ATA 9th Dan form is that it's LONG...quite long, and it's a requirement when one becomes the GM of the ATA!! I've seen the 9th Dan form being performed at ATA World Championships through YouTube.

I will have to see if I can find it, Bob. I believe its 99 moves long, and is a hodgepodge of all the ATA forms.

That's the unfortunate thing about the ATA only having the one grandmaster at a time: their 9th Dan form is so rarely seen, even by ATA people.

As I've said before, the relatively new WTF Elite Poomsae compeition format where Poomsae chosen is based on competitor's age, rather than rank, makes it possible for the higher rank Poomsae to be seen (and performed at a high level) by world class athletes.

When you come across the ATA 9th Dan form, I'd love to see it!

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

If I find it, I'll share it here, for sure. Even if all I come across is a PDF, I'll post a link if I can.

Cool, thanks, Brian!!

• 2 months later...

Ok, its been a while, but I've found some 9th dan stuff!

WTF 9th Dan Poomae Ilyeo:

23 movements, following the line of the Buddhist mark (a swastika), and symbolizes "oneness" as formulated by Won Hyo.

There are some interesting movement combinations in this form, with a vertical fingertip thrust in a crane stance, which then pivots into a slow side kick with single mountain block, a very elegant series of moves. There is also a front kick followed by a flying side kick combination repeated. Blocks include diamond blocks and high cross blocks. Strikes are kept simple with punches. The last segment of the form, with the Olympic style round kicks, the spin kick, and the splits, is this guys own addition.

I can't find anything on the ATA 9th degree form, Dong Seung.

• 3 months later...

I thought I'd kick this up again, with a twist, discussing Tang Soo Do forms. I have one book on TSD, and its well written and well put together, and it has always interested me in line to TSD and TKD having similar origins, but have taken very different paths in development.

So, lets do some TSD forms. The book I have covers the International Tang Soo Do Federation. If there are others that are different, like in Moo Duk Kwan TSD, please help me out. I'll try to look more and see, too.

So, form 1, TSD, Kicho Hyung Il Bu (Kicho 1):

20 moves, consisting of down blocks and lunging punches to the mid-section. One thing I did notice was the exaggerated leg lift prior to turning into the front stance with the down block (2nd video, and how its shown in the book I have). Its similar to Chon Ji, and also to Bo Chung, which is our org's hi orange belt form.

Its also similar to this Karate kata, Heian Shodan:

Some differences, like with the circular downward strike and the knife hand blocks, but similar, especially in the floor pattern it follows, an I.

Very similar to my Kenpo basic forms. We use this similar footwork with the same & different block strike combos.

Only difference was the linear stepping, we use more in/out steps(C shaped) and cut the corners off the turns. Keeps your feet under you, protects groin and speeds up turns.

Barnes

I will have to see if I can find it, Bob. I believe its 99 moves long, and is a hodgepodge of all the ATA forms.

I believe you're correct. I look forward to your findings, Brian!